Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

tobyhd1 is on a distinguished road

Hello All

Basically new to drumming but I feel I do ok.Took it up 2 1/2 yrs. ago and I enjoy it alot when I get to play.Started at 51-should have started sooner.I play on a Ludwig Accent kit which I chose because of price at the time.I didn`t want to spend alot of money up front in case I sucked and had to sell at a loss. It sounds quite good actually with the Remo Ambass. and a moon jel here and there.I spent good money on a Ludwig classic maple in a 6 1/2 x 14.I like older vintage type tones.I recently bought a stave maple shell in 7 1/2 x 14.Here are my thoughts for now.steel hoops.,trick strainer 007,and for the lugs I`m going to first try some brass round stock threaded at each end with no attachment to the shell.Basically a free floater.Can`t decide on tube lugs or conventiuonal at this point and therefore no mistake holes!It won`t cost alot to experiment at this time.Have a lathe and a mill so it`s simple.My concern is the tuning ,being basically the same tension on both heads. Any pearl free floater folks out there that want to chime in? I`m going to finish the drum with a danish oil instead of a lacquer finish.I want to get some heads on it and hear how it sounds and only have four screws and a vent in the shell.I should be drumming instead of typeing right now but maybe tomorrow...Oh yeah ,live in Canton,ny

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

G-2 is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello All

Hey tobyhd1, Welcome! That sounds like a pretty cool drum, it would be great to see some pictures!
Good To Have You Here!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

tobyhd1 is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello All

Thank You.I`m sure there will be at least one picture taken upon it`s completion and I`ll try to post here.It`ll probably end up an early fall project-work keeps me out of town enough that I`m always playing catch-up when I get home.