Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Gonz is on a distinguished road

For those in cover bands...

The simple version of my question: When covering a tune, do you try to play exactly what the original recording drummer did or do you play your own version of what you think feels right?

The more complex version: Is it right to essentially copy what the other drummer played? From another viewpoint, how about a guitarist who plays his own solo instead of the classic guitar solo that everyone remembers from that song? Or, is it fine to play your own version as long as it fits? You wouldn't decide to play an overly complex beat during a Beatles song, or an overly simple beat instead of what Steve Gadd does during Aja?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: For those in cover bands...

To me a cover is exactly that, a cover. So in my experience any group I have played covers with play the music exactly as written. I have played in bands that play versions of popular songs, but the lead man has always said "here is our take on a song you might recognize" or something to that point so that the audience knows it isn't an original version.

If you or your band for instance call yourself "Crazy Train" and bill yourselves as an Ozzy cover band then you had better play them exactly as written or you may find yourself having a hard time booking a gig.

If on the other hand your band is called "Bobby Smith and the Blackhole", you can get away with using a line like I said above and then putting your own spin on the tune.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

I have always felt that if you play someone else's music you should play it right---if you think you can do better---write your own song

Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

blevinspercussion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blevinspercussion

I always play the original part unless I have a very good reason to change it. I try to play the grooves exactly as they appear on the recording and I try to hit any important kicks and drum fills as close as I can get them. There are a couple of rare exceptions when a part just doesn't work as well live as it did in the studio. I those situations I may change things a bit, but I always ask the opinion of my other band members. Usually, when I have to change a part, I end up simplifying it just a little rather than make it more complex.

If I were playing in a tribute act, however, I would try to play everything note-perfect, regardless.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Gonz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. I've always felt for the most part that I ought to play as close to what was originally recorded as possible. Funny thing though, one time I rehearsed a few times with a cover band and were astounded (in a good way) that I played the parts exactly as recorded.

Reason I thought to ask this is that I haven't played with a band in a long time, however a friend locally has a cover band whose drummer isn't really committed. I've felt the urge to get back into playing publicly again so I told him I'd look over his setlist and come play with them sometime. The trick is I don't know half the tunes in their list so I'm trying to figure out how exactly I need to learn them before getting together with them. Not sure if they'll expect a perfect studio rendition or if they'll really know the difference.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Gun Motor is on a distinguished road

At best stay as close to the orig. As possible....although when your in the mood ...go ahead and spice it up. If orig. Is a handfull ...look into you tube ....play along with drumless versions..watch other versions from drummers who have posted there version of the troubled tune ...on you tube...if you really want it ...you and music will find a way....even if the only option is to throw it out..Could be the best thing...depending on how bad it is. Keep it simple and make it work... its your genius that is truly at work.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Gun Motor is on a distinguished road

My lead guitar player is a bit of a know it all.....so i try to hold my tongue when he sets me up to crap shoot an ending by not turning to que me on the endings of songs that fade out on the orig. Version. I know we could guess but i will not comply with his abrupt endings leaving me sounding like i messed up the ending....im trying to make him understand that if the band ends a song disfuctional enough times he should either que us out of common professional courtesy....so we end together or let mè drop it down into an ending so we can see it comming better then his figure it out method setting us up for another botched ending just so he can have a laugh at our expense without any concern for our requests to restructure new endings with all players ending in sync...or blame us for not remembering where he chose the end should be without all the band on the same page as his guessing game endings hes to lazy to reinvent with the band as a user friendly ending we all can agree with by ending perfectly as a team. Im so close to moving onto a new project...because untill he wakes the hell up i wont book any gigs because he still dont get that im not gonna put myself in the position to mis my mark on any endings so he can have his idea of where the ending is....expecting me and the bass player to read his mind by not letting us have a better understanding of his direction that he chooses selling us out so his ass ends perfectly while me and the bass player take another shot in the dark ....so totally retarded to think im gonna put myself on the chopping block outside of rehearsal ....to play a paid gig...hes kidding himself if he thinks im gigging anywhere in public without this ignorant bull**** setting us up for many botched unfixed endings......he also acts as though we keep getting it wrong...when the truth is he hasnt played with a drummer that actually gives a crap about my craft and have for over 35 years experience with way better drummer acknowledgement from other bands hands down compared to this Amityville nutt bar im dealing with

Last edited by Gun Motor; 05-30-2015 at 05:09 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Walter123 is on a distinguished road

I try to play the grooves exactly as they appear on the recording...
Fine Samsung cases
high-quality s6 cases casesam

Last edited by Walter123; 01-03-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Cover is to me a flam jam

Sound like it and instead be yourself.

Sometimes when you listen carefuly there are seperate sound tracks.