Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Fred Haas is on a distinguished road

new kit considerations

It's been a while since I posted anything, so a little history first. Been playing for over 40 yrs in various rock bands, playing dead, allman bros, clapton, the band, and lots of original music.

I played on Ludwigs for many years, but for the past 6 years I play on Pearl Master Customs ranging from a 4 piece up to 7. I love the sound of these drums!! full rich tones with great resonance and attack. However, for small clubs, they are a bit large to fit and a bit loud.

I got a Tama Silverstar Bop kit 4 piece, for those smaller gigs, but after playing it for a while, Iím not in love with them. Lots of attack, but missing the deep resonance. Maybe itís the Birch, maybe its the 18" bass. Also, I find that it is not much less to carry.

I am considering another kit to complement my Pearls. Giving serious thought to the PDP concept 5 piece. They sound really nice, and the toms mount directly onto the bass drum, so I donít need bulky stands for them. Nice for those small clubs with limited room.

So after all that, my question is what do people think of comparison 5 piece kits to the Concept series?

Also considering Gretch Catalina maple. Any thoughts on these or other sets??

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

mjfpercussion is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: new kit considerations

Hey Fred. I would only post Yamaha because I have a set but then again, the attack and tone are what I'm looking for so I'm sorry that cannot help you.

Have you ever looked at any other types of drum shells. I can say I'm not really a fan of mahogany's because I had a Mapex Mars set and could only get the attack I wanted from the 13" tom on my set despite the tweaking and fine tuning.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: new kit considerations

The PDP Concept is a great set of drums with a reasonable price point. That said you may want to look for something with a mohagany shell for deep resonance.