Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Cymbals

Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 AM
Beamerzz

cracked cymbal

it really sucks when a 1 month old Zildjian A Thin Crash cracks on you.. the crack is only like a half a centimeter on the edge but it makes me paranoid when I hit it now... any suggestion on what I can do at this point? should i cut it out? this sucks!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Crash

I think there's an article on this site about it actually. You can basically use a certain glue to sort of weld it back together. Or you can cut it out like you mentioned, which will completely change the tone of the cymbal. Or you can just let the cymbal live its course and then replace it. Either way, the cymbal won't be what it used to be, but of course you can make the best out of a bad situation. good luck

Old 06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
rockondude

Yeah man, I've gotten to the point where I'm cracking cymbals all the time now (maybe once every 3 months) I've come to accept the fact, but maybe I'll start using something more durable. Zildjian Z Customs ? Anyone have any experience with these? I play heavy metal and I hit hard. Im currently using A Customs because I like the sound I get from them. But I think it's time to think of some alternatives.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Travisfan

stop hitting your cymbals so damn hard, maybe tilting them toward you will help a little

Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
I've never cracked a cymbal in 7 years of playing... does this mean im not hitting hard enough??

Old 06-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Larry

yep I followed what the article said and got a tube of epoxy from ebay.. Seems to have worked pretty well too as the crack has not progressed any further than what it started it. As for sound quality, I can't quite remember what it used to sound like.. sorry

Old 06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
shakenbake

what is epoxy?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

DRUMMER111 is on a distinguished road
dude come on man sorry to call you this but your an idiot . if its only one month old and you bought it new from a dealer . zildjian has a 1 year guarantee on there cymbals so they will give you one, but i dont know about that now since you put epoxy on the crack. also check your cymbal techniques remember not to have your cymbals at a flat angle like this - but at a slight angle . may i sugegest you go to the zildjiansite and read about cymbal care

Old 06-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Beamerzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMMER111
dude come on man sorry to call you this but your an idiot . if its only one month old and you bought it new from a dealer . zildjian has a 1 year guarantee on there cymbals so they will give you one, but i dont know about that now since you put epoxy on the crack. also check your cymbal techniques remember not to have your cymbals at a flat angle like this - but at a slight angle . may i sugegest you go to the zildjiansite and read about cymbal care
idiot?? I challenge you to a drum battle duel on this site! haha are you up for it??
Well, I bought the cymbal "new" on ebay and it didn't come with any warranty information but I'll check it out anyhow.
I didn't put epoxy on it yet but I'm considering because the crack is pretty small..
Anyway, I checked out the zildjian site... here are the cymbal care instructions:

Follow these 4 easy guidelines to ensure a long life for your Zildjian cymbals:
1. Play It Right
Avoid striking cymbals directly on their edge. Crash cymbals, especially, should be hit with a glancing blow, a little off center. Striking with a slight twist of the wrist also helps avoid breakage and allows crash cymbals to “open up.”

2. Choose the Right Cymbal
The sound quality of a Zildjian cymbal is determined by its alloy content, size, shape, hammering and lathing pattern. Trying to force a cymbal to produce volume beyond its range can cause breakage. There are Zildjian cymbals for every style of music. Match your cymbal to your specific needs.

3. Protect Your Investment
Always carry your cymbals in a padded cymbal bag or a protective cymbal case.
Store your cymbals immediately whenever you break down your drumset.
When cymbals are not in use for prolonged periods of time, wrap cymbals separately with a piece of cloth to protect their edges and surfaces; be especially careful of the bottom edge.
Keep your cymbals away from extreme cold or heat.

4. Set-Up Basics

Avoid Metal-to-Metal Contact
Place a sturdy nylon or rubber sleeve around the cymbal tilter rod when mounting your cymbals to prevent center hole deformation and cracking. Always use top and bottom felts.

Keep It Loose
Do not over-tighten the wing nut. This can cause cracks around the center hole. Also, a clamped cymbal will not vibrate freely and often sounds choked. For HiHats, keep the clutch medium-tight so that the top cymbal moves freely.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
If you want a cymbal that will hold up to constant abuse I would say get the Z customs.
I have a few of them and it is my main crash that I use over all the other ones and it's holding up great and I beat it to death so I would try that.

Another one thats kinda on the thick side is some of the K line but I had a few of them and I didnt think that they sounded all that great with metal but to each his own.

Also try calling a zildjian rep and seeing what they say before you cut weld apoxy or anything else.