Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Beamerzz

Question Drumming as a profession?

As I get more serious about drumming and music, i keep considering whether or not I should take it up as a profession. I'm thinking commercials and studio work possibly as a session drummer. Do you think there is a future in this in terms of money? How would someone get started in something like this?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 06:03 PM
palad006

Talking

well if it's for the money, I wouldn't suggest it cuz it can be a huge gamble.. you'll either be a huge success or a bum playing garbage gigs.. but if it's wat you really love then of course this doesn't matter

Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 PM
shakenbake

i agree with palad, don't do it for the money as things aren't always lucrative as they may seem.. also in the music biz, it's not always what you know but WHO you know.. if you're the best drummer in the world but have no hookups or people don't know about you then it doesn't matter

Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
Thats how I feel right now.
I know I have the chops and the skills to make it big it's just finda the right hook-ups to getting to that point.

I still have the idea that they should have a new show called american band where they take musicans from every catagory drums, gutar, bass.

And then they just start putting bands together.
would it be corny yea but you could have that chance to be seen by someone other than them that might just be looking for your sound that your doing that dosnt fit into some of the crap that they are doing on the show.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
that seems like a good idea, but you're forgetting about the whole chemistry thing... the best drummer, singer, bassist, and keyboardists in the world can all get together to form a band.. but without the right chemistry, they'll suck... certain drummer complement certain singers, etc so I dont think that a show like that can really put a good band out based solely on skill levels.. its all about the chemistry

Old 07-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Tama king

a lot of the drummers are at similar skill levels and its hard to really differentiate them in one tryout or session.. so basically, if you have the stuff and you want to make it big.. it''s really WHO you know and not what you know... gotta get the hookups as full metal said