Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

bambam90 is on a distinguished road

Re: birch vs maple

Don't mean to change the subject but can anyone tell me what happens to the sound of a snare drum when you change the number of ply you have?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Thumpthdrum is on a distinguished road

I have a set of Ayotte maple and a set of DW Classics. The Classic DW set is made of mahogany with a "butter bearing " edge, rounded edge as opposed to most of today's drums , including my Ayotte that have a 45 degree bearing edge. I have remo coated ambassadors on the top and and clear ambassadors on the bottom of my ayotte kit. A good attack with a great warm sound. The DW kit has coated ambassadors on top and bottom ( old school ) they have a deep warm sound with enough attack for clarity. ( with either kit I use a Cravioto maple snare). I have a tough time, at times, deciding between the two. I have too admit that I have been playing the DW kit more often. I have actually had more compliments on this kit from the audience as well as other musicians. The musicians are at times a little confused....is the sound...my tuning? the heads? or could it be the brand? Mahogany.....the ( mostly ) forgotten wood, since most of today's drummers choose between maple or birch (most often). In your case I would personally choose maple, but choose for your sound and the type of music that you prefer to play.
*****read the thread from Travis Fan......good info...may help you decide ****

Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

bouncingstick is on a distinguished road

i agree with crash. birch is more to recording preference and maple is great for live performence.
i've tried yamaha birch and maple custom and it did prove that. but, it depends on individual choice of sound though.. groovee.......!!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

mushroom-eater is on a distinguished road

hi everyone its a first time. I think maple would earn more votes than birch.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Wecome to the site mushroom-eater (interesting screen name!).

I envy you thumpthdrum! DW and Ayotte! I'm Canadian so I've always targetted Ayotte as my dream kit. But right now I have vintage Slingerland and I'm told they are mahogany (maybe only some of the plies? I don't know). And I think they have that same bearing edge as the DWs, I'm not sure. In any event, they are a warm sounding drum and they have a controlled sound -- nice tone at low volumes plus good sound when played loudly.

When I've got the cash for another set I'll have to do careful sound checks. I've always admired the look of the Ayottes, but maybe I'm a mahogany fan. From the info presented above, if the choice is between maple and birch, I'd probably favour the warmer of the two -- maple.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks, Slingerland59...Slingerland are great drums. When I was learning, you either owned Slingerland or Ludwig. Either of these kits were the ones to have. The Ayotte kit sounds great, but I have had more compliments on the DW kit. I love the deep warm tone of the mahogany kit. I do agree that if it comes down to birch or maple , I would have too choose maple.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 AM

I'm guessing a big part of the secret that explains why the DW kit sounds so good is your use of coated ambassadors on both heads. I didn't realize that was "old school" until I went to my local drum shop. They didn't even stock coated heads.

When I think about it, my Slingerland toms sounded the best when I set them up that way. And I checked the tuning bible. The author confirms that you get the best vibrations out of a drum if both heads are identical.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 PM

The head combinations make a great difference. My opinion drums do sound better with both heads. A lot of the "old School" sound is the combination of....coated heads top and bottom, mahogany shells, and a "butter bearing edge" (round edge as opposed to today's common 45 degree edge). The edge was a part of the sound but wasn't made to develop the sound. The rounded edge was developed due to the old skin heads that were used. With these heads, if they were damp or wet ( as a lot were mounted this way)as they dried a 45 degree edge would have cut through the skin head as with the rounded edge they were more forgiving. Thus a new sound developed. Your Slingerland kit probably has the old school ( mahogany shell @ round edge ) make up. By the way use Remo coated Ambassadors on the top and bottom of the DW kit and coated ambassadors with clear ambassadors on the Ayotte kit. Also try different tunings....both heads equal, top dead tighter bottom head lower, bottom head tighter top head lower and so on till you find what fits for you. I have several snare drums and tune them all a little different.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Shakenbake.........
I have a maple kit, but I also have 2 birch snares. My experience is, the maple has a warmer sound. The birch has a little higher pitch. Both sound great but, of the 2 woods I prefer maple.
( just for the record I also have a mahogany kit that I play most of the time)

Last edited by Thumpthdrum; 11-25-2008 at 11:12 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 03:24 AM

[QUOTE=Thumpthdrum;17895] ....[A lot of the "old School" sound is the combination of....coated heads top and bottom, mahogany shells, and a "butter bearing edge" (round edge as opposed to today's common 45 degree edge). The edge was a part of the sound but wasn't made to develop the sound. The rounded edge was developed due to the old skin heads that were used. With these heads, if they were damp or wet ( as a lot were mounted this way)as they dried a 45 degree edge would have cut through the skin head as with the rounded edge they were more forgiving. ]

Wow! Thanks for the information Thumpthdrum. In all my research on other forums and the internet generally, I've never seen such a good explanation.

I think I'm sold on the DW Classics. Do you know if you can get them in any finish or are you limited to the "vintage" sparkles? What colour are yours?