Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-24-2005, 09:52 PM
shakenbake

Unhappy Noise Complaints.. ugh!

I live in a pretty tight neighborhood so whenever I practice the drums at home, it's not very welcome in my neighborhood.. in fact, someone came knocking on my door and threatened to call the police the other day for loud music! so my drumming life is at stake here.. i know i can get practice pads or something but i just can't live without hearing my drums sing out.... any ideas? i guess all i can do is muffle them for now

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Beamerzz

haha i guess it's something we all struggle with.. tell them to shut up and wear some ear plugs

Old 06-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I would say the best thing for you to do is turn whatever room your drums are in into a music room.

Go down to goodwill or salvation army and by some really thick quilts or blankets and your going to take them home and put them on everything the ceiling walls maybe even the floor.

I mean you could always get the sound proofing stuff but it cost a freaken arm and a leg.

the other alternitive youo have is what my band does, go rent a storage unit with the climate controls.
Its a little loud in there but not to bad but I have no complaints about it and you might even find that there are a lot of bands that are there as well maybe even looking for a drummer.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by full metal
I would say the best thing for you to do is turn whatever room your drums are in into a music room.

Go down to goodwill or salvation army and by some really thick quilts or blankets and your going to take them home and put them on everything the ceiling walls maybe even the floor.

I mean you could always get the sound proofing stuff but it cost a freaken arm and a leg.

the other alternitive youo have is what my band does, go rent a storage unit with the climate controls.
Its a little loud in there but not to bad but I have no complaints about it and you might even find that there are a lot of bands that are there as well maybe even looking for a drummer.
you rent out a storage room for a couple of hours at a time?? hm, I've never heard of that before actually.. how much does it cost?

Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 PM

we dont rent it out for a few hours thats just where we practice at.

I think it's like 100$ a month but if your in a band and everyones paying part of it it's not that bad.
But at the same time if you are trying to find somewhere to practice thats not bothering anyone then it might be worth it to just get one for yourself untill maybe you have a band.
It's better than pissing off your folks next door or even having the cops called on you.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Travisfan

100 isn't bad but I'm sure there are better places you can play for free... someone's garage maybe? Heck, you could even get some people who listen to you and drop your band a dollar or something.. haha

and if sound is an issue for practicing, you should set up a kit with pillows.. its does wonders for your chops because there's no rebound on them and it forces your wrists and arms to work harder

Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 PM

I wish we could go to someones garge and practice but I think as loud as we play we couldnt even make thru one song before the cps showed up telling us to shut up or go to jail

But where we pracice isnt to bad and I can leave my kit there and know that it's not going to get stolen. It is a real pain moving that thing around sometimes.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
G-Unit

pretty good idea.. you don't get complaints from the storage people?

Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 AM

no they dont seem to mind at all.
there are several other bands that play there as well.
we dont go there during the day though so I dont know if they would get upset if we were playing during the day .

Old 07-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Jinusean

put up some heavy carpeting around the room of choice and that egg crate foam stuff... the professional soundproof stuff can get pretty expensive