Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Travisfan

weightlifting and keeping in shape?

I was wondering if any of you worked out at all or did some weightlifting... does this help in your drumming? I would imagine that if you did 100 wrist curls every day you'd have the fastest single strokes on the planet. Plus, doing lots of cardio and running a lot would probaly increase your endurance on the kit as well. Anyone have any experience?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Mookie is on a distinguished road
Meh. Im seriously out of shape. But yeah, I started doing push-ups and stuff like that regulary. I've noticed that it really helps. My hands move faster on the kit. I can play faster (a bit). I wont exhaust myself so quickly.

So yeah. I guess it helps a bit.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
Working out for the drummer.

thats been a question for as long as I can rember since I started playing.

When I was in high school our drum instructer told us that he found out that we were lifting weights he would kick us off the drum line.
The only work out he alowed was push ups and sit ups and running.
anything beyond that was off limits.

I have found that if I go and work out and lift weights and I mean really lift weights that if I play that same day or even a maby a day after my arms will get very stiff no matter how much streaching I do and there will even be times that my arms will lock up and I cant move them for a min or 2.

I try and schedule my workouts around days that I practice so that I can lift weights and play and not have to worry about it.

but push up and what not I guess dont affect you the same way as lifting but I have never really looked into it but I figured since my instructer did all the drumline music and instruction for the colts (a DCI marching band) and also for memphis state that he knew what he was talking about.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Jinusean

I can see why he says it would make you stiff. Muscle mass and bulk takes away from finesse in a lot of cases, which is critical for soft fluid drumming. Personally, I would sacrifice some of my drumming flexibility for my health and to put on some muscle in the weight room. I don't think it would make THAT much of a difference.