Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Lessons > Drum Technique

Closed Article

Article Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Drum Set Connect has disabled reputation

Post Tips for Church Drummers

Since I really don't have any "chops", here's what I've learned for "pointers" that has helped me to be successful without any serious skills for a church gig.

1. ALWAYS be prepared...

Last edited by Drum Set Connect; 08-02-2006 at 07:25 PM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
By Church Drummer on 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Re: Tips for Church Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by taye drummer View Post
Well guys got a small problem.What do you do when your pastor is trying tell you how to play
and you have been playing the drums for at least 16 years?? He says that your playing a rock
beat,and i need to just be keeping time.The drums sets the tempo but he says that were playing rock, but it a praise song not worship,Praise is uptempo worship is mellow,and slow,
but you still want to build the song,So he's saying we need to listen to Hillsong.I thought that
you still have a choice of what you play,and how.
I think it's OK for the Pastor to have some input on the style that he would like you to play in (but not to the point of telling you how to play, unless he happens to be a competant musician himself). If he wants the band to sound like the Hillsong recordings it's appropriate for him to suggest you listen to, and try to emulate that sound. The pastor, and musical director should be working together with the other worship leaders to focus the type of worship service, and style of the worship music that they want for your congregation. If you aren't comfortable with the musical style that the minister prefers for that service, maybe you should search for a congregation where the style is more to your liking. The Pastor isn't likely to change his mind or his vision for the service.
By GrooveisKing on 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Cool advice guys. I play at a church called North Point Community Church. Where Andy Stanley, and Louis Giglio go. I played at Catalyst conference this year, and play with Aaron Shust this summer. The advice in this column for the most part is great. But one thing, that alot of times is ovelooked is the importance of FEEL and GROOVE in a song. I think it would be an amazing thing if the focus shift went from that fill is coming and how cool can I make it sound, to the 95% of what the song is, the groove and feel, are slammin' and oh yeah here's a "pat boone debbie boone"

Just food for thought!
By taye drummer on 09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Smile Re: Tips for Church Drummers

well if you can play then that make it better for you, you don't have to be religious to play drums, but try to listen at the song and what there saying and allow your soul to feel the music, and you will do just fine. Why did he have to quit??
By taye drummer on 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM

OK now everything is good but i just go with the flow, (Jamie) is now working with the team and they are understanding what drumming brings to a praise team, so i just play how she wants me to play and nothing else.Some times in the song she wants me to mix it up and i do.(we flow, jell) so good together, and she knows music, but she is not the praise team leader, just the head musician
but this is cool with me since all i want to do is use my skills for the lord.Sometimes is just wants toms, and she will do a break with just me and the praise team singing then she brings the keyboard back in in about two measures,that's fine with me as long as i get a chance to use my skills for God.
By Tainojim on 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM

How about keeping the Church in Church and drumming on the forum. This is really getting out of hand.

OK so my mommy was a Sunday School Teacher and drilled it into me for 58 years and is still drilling me every visit. I let her talk her brains out, due to respect for her. And I have a cousin in the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and so on. I gave my first Ludwig kit to a church. My sister is an internet pastor and so is my neighbor. And they both talk like sailors.

I was born CEMI and will die CEMI and you won't find us in a church. But you don't see me and others talking Sweat Lodge Drumming.

Bottom line Church is church, so tone it down a bit. Others from around the world are watching. Please keep it there. Drums are Drums, keep that there.

Maybe a little consideration for the other members for the forum. Why not start your own church drumming forum. This forum is for drummers around the world and using the word church only shows one religion in tacked. "Christianity"

Please have some respect for other religions like Orthodox, Jewish, Temples, Synagogues, Mosques, Muslim, Hindu, Sweat Lodges and many, many others.

News Flash: You need chops to play chops. The Torah still hasn't been figured out and a Christian Pastor is telling you what the bible says, that was derived from the Jewish faith to begin with? Give me and others a break. There is no such thing as a church drummer. Your a drummer or your not. There is a cross in front of the church, not a drum on display.

How about a drum battle, and see who crucifies who. That's drum talk.

Thank You, Reverend Tainojim native american. Still walking barefoot.
By Tainojim on 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Tips for Church Drummers Techniques and tips for every church drummer
Published by Drum Set Connect
06-16-2006

Now that I know that Drumset Connect publishies this stuff, I'm out of here. Since when did religion control the way drummers get connected through the world.

Good Bye
By Church Drummer on 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM

I think that this thread has been very appropriate, in that it is clearly labeled "Tips for Church Drummers". If someone doesn't want to read about drumming in a church setting they can easily skip over those posts. I also wouldn't be opposed to a thread about drumming in synagogue, or any other religious setting as long as the thread title clearly states that is what the thread is about. I would have a problem with someone interjecting non-drumming related discussion into a thread that was labeled as a drumming topic. Many of us drum in religious settings, and we should be able to discuss the particular aspects of drumming under those conditions (as long as it is done with the main focus being on the drumming end of it, which from my reading of this post it has been).
By Tainojim on 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Church drumming started in the early 60's. It was not allowed in the 50's according to the churches pastor and miniters, "Rock and Roll was considered the Devil's Heart Beat".

I know, I was there. Pentecostal churches started this church drumming and then spread out to evangelical churches and others.

What disappoints me about this thread is the click. Not that I'm apposed. The bible says nothing about drumming. It only states to be joyous in singing when worshiping and celebrating.

If controversy bothers you, that's another thing.

Many blessings to all and happy drumming.
By Church Drummer on 09-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
Church drumming started in the early 60's. It was not allowed in the 50's according to the churches pastor and miniters, "Rock and Roll was considered the Devil's Heart Beat".

I know, I was there. Pentecostal churches started this church drumming and then spread out to evangelical churches and others.

What disappoints me about this thread is the click. Not that I'm apposed. The bible says nothing about drumming. It only states to be joyous in singing when worshiping and celebrating.

If controversy bothers you, that's another thing.

Many blessings to all and happy drumming.
I have no problem with controversy!! my problem was, and maybe I missunderstood your intention, but it seemed to me that your opinion was that this discussion didn't belong here. I don't see a click here, but I do admit that this discussion may not appeal to every member of the forum. There are a lot of other threads on here that I skip over and don't read because they aren't my cup of tea. For example I'm not into metal, so I don't read those threads. The Bible may not say anything about drumming, but it also doesn't say anything about using an organ for worship either, but that has been in use as well as brass and stringed instruments for centuries. Bach wrote many orchestral scores to be performed for religious masses that involved the use of kettle drums, and other percussion. The use of drum sets in worship, as well as the use of electric guitars, etc. is relatively new, but that shows the church is progressing as it always has. If the church hadn't changed over the centuries, all Christians would still be Catholic, and we would all be singing Gregorian chant in Latin. The church does evolve, and the use of drums in the worship service is part of that evolution. I don't understand what your point is, but I would be happy to have you clarify it.
By Tainojim on 09-16-2009, 04:00 AM

Absolutely, about going from pipe organs (too heavy for carrying around to church gigs) to Hammond organs, especially with the wonderful sound of the Lesley Speakers. I like gospel music in every sense and even played it at times in my days. And yes change is good. Right up my block there is an African Christian church, man talk about drums. These guys go all day without stopping. And it's beautiful music, I just don't understand the lyrics.

I also like the fact that since the 50's to today, the changes include drums and orchestral arrangements and even in the small Catholic churches. My brother in law plays his Gretsch Sunburst guitar in one.

But to stick into a drum forum is also rock and even metal music for Jesus. I hope you don't see me as an intruder for simply speaking my mind. If I've offended any one within this thread, it wasn't by intention.

But I will speak my mind as is, and if you can't understand that, then there is nothing more I can say. My intentions are always good in every sense.

Indubitably, that education is the back bone of life and I'm not passing on judgment. I have studied all sorts of religions. I feel that a title like "Tips for Gospel Drummers" would have been more appropriate than just "church drummers" for the temple of god is the body.

Your an intelligent man,that's clear. I thought you figured it out by now and I don't feel any need for clarifying anything any further.

Many Blessings my brother and keep on drumming for the gospel.

Tainojim - Native American and Drummer for all sorts of music
Closed Article

Article Tools