Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Lessons > Drum Technique

Closed Article

Article Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Drum Set Connect has disabled reputation

Post Tips for Church Drummers

Since I really don't have any "chops", here's what I've learned for "pointers" that has helped me to be successful without any serious skills for a church gig.

1. ALWAYS be prepared...

Last edited by Drum Set Connect; 08-02-2006 at 06:25 PM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
By Church Drummer on 09-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Re: Tips for Church Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
I hope you don't see me as an intruder for simply speaking my mind. If I've offended any one within this thread, it wasn't by intention.
Tainojim,
No offense taken on my part and I certainly don't consider you as an intruder. Appears I misunderstood the point of your previous post, so my mistake.

I think they probably stayed away from the word Gospel in the title of the thread, because Gospel in the contexts of music refers to a particular style of Christian music (as I'm sure you're aware). The music played in most churches I'm familiar with is what is normally referred to these days as "Worship and Praise music" and is more similar to Pop/Rock music, than what is referred to as Gospel. I love Gospel style also, but it isn't a big part of what we play on Sunday mornings.
By Larry Anderson on 04-15-2010, 02:21 PM

I appreciate any help on the subject of Church Drummers, that is why I am here. Some people in church have a love for music and the Lord. Thanks to those experienced drummers that are willing to have some respect for those of us just starting out and are trying to fill a need.
By Tainojim on 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM

I just thought that you guys would be interested in this. My cousin sings here.

Brooklyn Tabernacle | Home
By drumser on 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM

I have to highly disagree with your post on a number of fronts. Mainly the comment about your chops or the lack there of. It doesn't matter if you are playing a waltz or a syphonic piece of music. There is no excuse for no having "chops". Apes bang on drums, musicians play music. Yes some contemporary Christian music is rather simplistic in nature, however, much modern Christian music is very close to our current pop, or ballad style music you would here on any radio station; unless you yourself are playing Kume BA YA! You need exceptional dynamics in church music and the ability to "jam it out" if you are following a worship leader that wants to continue the song or decides to transition to another song that may be in the band's repitiore. There are alot of highs and lows particluraly in many of the revised hymns which happen to be in some odd meters. You need chops for that! I have played many different sytles of music from calypso, reggae, rock, jazz, country, and classical fro traiditional approachesto hymns with bell and timpany parts. How about military drum parts, buzz rolls, brush parts, cymbal swells, time changes.

I have been playing for over thirty years using acoustic and electronic drums during that time, and there is alot to be said for a solid rhythm section and providing an atmosphere in a worship experience thath is most importantly genuine, and inspiring. After all, that is why Christian music exists. Anyone can play a song listen to a recording and mimic it, but it takes a true sense of ministry and spiritual intuitiveness to play spiritual music that is honoring to God, as well as inpiring to the listeners. A true Christian musician is a minister of the Gospel and has a responsibility to live a life of faith and integrity, or else as the scripture would say, you are nothing more than a clanging bell or loud noise!
By edwardjnthn103 on 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Notes helper

I am Joseph and i am 19 years old I recently discovered my fondness towards playing Drums.and i search randomly for good instructions on internet. I haven't taken any courses i am learning by my own as a newbie i have some problems I am following Notes Helper i think this will help you as well.
By tit4tat44 on 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Re: Not always realistic

IN my church to be a main drummer my pastor requires - reading charts at a concert community band level minimum 2yrs with a jazz background, (somewhat) must maintain a solid tempo from 40 to 170???? most songs are 60 to 135 be very adaptable to changes whats going on. Must be solid in triple meter and quadmeter and be very well at knowing where the bridge is from a recording be good at transitional fills and a litny of other things. my argument is i play and know almost or memorized every song from the 60 's and throughout the 70 i have a very good ear, i spent time 6 yrs with a symphony percussionist i played for 30yrs playing with well accomplised musicians out side the church i played a couple times for him and he said i did a very good job. people in the church even came up to me and said i never realized you where such a good drummer. discouraged his big thing music pastor is you must always know where beat one is -- if the piano player was playing asong and you did not know the song can you come in on that beat #1 with in 2 bars he told if your playing i dont want you to count?????????? yet he will not put me on the schedule we have 3 other drummers
By Sharon Cross on 09-07-2010, 04:59 AM

Good sound advice. I was playing for a Worship Group for about three yrs and took leave of absence because I employed a person from the Church to work for me, she abused me, I wont go into details ... however the Church challenged me about the fact that I dismissed her and didnt involve the church. (She furthermore stole from the company). I was due to commence playing again after a church meeting to do with this whole horrible saga which will take place today, however I have now broken my leg therefore cannot play for a long time. I miss my worship and drumming which is what I was called to do. The church has no drummer anymore and have lost a few people in the group, a very sad state of affairs.
Please pray for me at this time.
Sharon
By DrumName:Skeester on 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM

this is a great tip for all drummers
By S.A.L. on 09-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Smile Re: Tips for Church Drummers

Great tips.
I've played in churches all of my life.
Closed Article

Article Tools