Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Chris Jude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinusean
So what would be a good model that would be quiet enough to play in my apartment, realistic enough for me to get a good feel on a low end type budget? I'm thinking about spending maybe a grand tops. I'm sure ebay has got some deals so maybe I can put something together on my own. drumbalya.com is pretty good too.. any suggestions?
You can get a new Roland TD-3 or Hart Prodigy kit (either with module and everything you need) for that money. I'd definitely recommend the TD-3 module (in that price range) above all others and your choice on pads.

If you live in an apartment and can swing it, be downstairs. Its tough to keep the sound of the kick from resonating the floor. If you are upstairs, consider hanging the kick pad upside down from the rack (so its not resting on the floor) to eliminate the problem. Risers and carpet don't always do enough. Otherwise, you should be fine noise wise. The ambient noise of hitting the pads is about like hitting a practice pad or a thick phone book. What you hear in the headphones will probably pleasantly surprise you, (not to mention the cool mix in and play along and other built in practice features.

Ed and the folks at Drumbalaya are great (and friends). If you contact them, please pass along a hello from me.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2005, 12:10 PM
rockondude

do some of the bass kicks on electric drums come inverted like that? I think i've seen something like that before where the beater goes upward

Old 07-11-2005, 02:36 AM
dr drum

Have any of you guys played the electric drumset they have at arcades? Sometimes I play just to bang on the thing and everyone is impressed ... it's actually quite fun but the quality isn't all that great

Old 07-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Oneofakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr drum
Have any of you guys played the electric drumset they have at arcades? Sometimes I play just to bang on the thing and everyone is impressed ... it's actually quite fun but the quality isn't all that great
Ha, those are a total joke.. I get so annoyed when I see punk kids trying to show off and thinking they're so good when they have no chops whatsoever.. hopefully that is not you

Old 10-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

gurlzdrumhard is on a distinguished road

Re: 'Lectric Drums

hi, i have a roland v-tour electronic set--- I LOVE IT!! i also have a killer mapex acoustic set.... i find that although i just love the mapex (it's soooo pretty!), i BY FAR play the roland more. the reason is because the i can totally control the sound level with the electronic kit. from only me hearing them through the headphones, to whisper quiet or blow the roof off loud through my powerful keyboard amp. they are extremely versatile. they have enabled me to become a better player simply because i can play more often--- i don't have to worry about disturbing anyone. also if only you (the player) can hear them it's my opinion you will not hesitate to try new stuff on your kit---there will be no one to hear the "mistakes". i think it helps a person to become less inhibited, at least it does with me. i can practice silently until i nail it down. although there is no substitute for acoustic drum sound and looks, electronic drums are are invaluable for their ease of playing and versitality. i have a mid-range module, but i still have access to over 30 different snare sounds alone. piccolo? vintage? fat? jazz? brass? studio? all there at the touch of a button. same with all the other drums and cymbols on the set. it has helped me musically to know the drums better---- what a jazz set vs. a metal set sound like, for instance. another advantage of an electronic kit is that they are a whole lot easier to transport than an acoustic set. also, you can record (through the sets' module) yourself playing and then play that back, so if you (like me) like to play other instruments from time to time you can pick up the bass guitar or the bongos or whatever and play to your own drum track. pretty cool.

i would love to buy the $4800.00 new roland set with the td-20 module---- but can't afford it now (or possibly ever!!). i've played on this set at guitar city and it was beyond awesome....

the only problem i find with the electronic sets is that they because they are so easy to play when you get back on an acoustic set you have to work a little harder to do rolls and stuff. it's just a differnt feel.

happy drumming!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

drmmr109 is on a distinguished road

I too was dead set against "digital drums" but after playing them I realize there is a place for them. I own both now, but prefer the acoustics. I found the digitals don't have the dynamic ability I get from acoustics. I have a Hart kit with Roland TD8 module, it served it's purpose and played using it for gigs at one point. I kept my kick and triggered it for appearance as it helped with the look of the kit and didn't look quite so much like a "toy" kit. Plus I did not like cymbal response. But hey, it's still a work in progress.The pads take a bit of getting used to since the feel from the pad is completely different from acoustic heads. So over all each have their pro's and con's.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

EphICanIMite is on a distinguished road

Some of the newer electronic kits are indeed sounding quite good. If you want performances that sound for sound and riff for riff a duplicate of what you played last time(assuming ones skills match), the electronic kit can give you that. And assuming you have a capable sound system and engineer, what the audience hears can be very pleasant and musical. However(yeah, you knew this was comin'), the varying surfaces available to hit on an acoustic drumset often can envoke a whole range of dynamics and emotional content unavailable with an electronic kit.
I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different. I've seen a demo of a video that Thomas Lang made where he uses a custom Roland V-drum kit that is quite frankly amazing. But it is quite sterile in its dynamics no matter how talented a player he is. Just my two cents worth. Of course(adjusting for inflation) I doubt it's even worth two cents these days.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

HBdrummer1 is on a distinguished road

I've never been a big fan of electronic sets either but they have come a long way since they were first released. I haven't seen one in person yet, but sets like ddrum's Hybrid are intriguing. They can be used as an electronic, acoustic, or combo... The look & feel of acoustic with internal triggers.... They are relatively new on the market so there's not too much in the way of videos or reviews yet. One of our local music shops handles ddrum and I've been waiting for them to get one in so I can get a close-up of it. Again, it is intriguing...