Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by full metal
somthing that I did for years when I got my ahead sticks.
I couldnt get a good sounding rim shot out of them and on a wooded stick I count get the sounds I wanted off the ride like you do with a nylon tip so I had a wooden one in my left and a ahead in my right.

Of course some reading this is going to ask why didnt you just buy nylon tip sticks in the first place so Ill tell you.

I have yet to ever wear down or brake a nylon tip stick because I always seem to knock the tip off some how and send it flying accros the room.

I hate them and I refuse to buy them.
I have spent to much on them already and had to many probloms with them.
doesn't that feel unbalanced in your hands? I use nylon tips in 5b and i dont seem to have any real problems. You could try crazy gluing where the tip meets the wood.. maybe that will help the nylon thing to stay on..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Poker face

Vic Firth American Classic 5A.. I've been using 5B but theyre thicker and offer less control.. Vic Firth makes the best sticks IMHO

Old 07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

DRUMMER111 is on a distinguished road
yeah poler face i use to use th VF but then moved to Vater i dont know vater felt good in my hands VF always felt wierd when i used them. except for there marching sticks for that i go VF hands down

Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 AM
G-Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMMER111
yeah poler face i use to use th VF but then moved to Vater i dont know vater felt good in my hands VF always felt wierd when i used them. except for there marching sticks for that i go VF hands down
I feel the same way.. and I don't think it's all in the head either.. If you blindfolded me and gave me 2 different pairs of sticks.. one a vater and one of another kind I seriously think that I could tell the difference, no joke... feels great and its hard to explain really

Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer

What kind of sticks do you use?

The name of the thread say it all... Personally, I like the Vic Firth Steve gadd model sticks. I just picked up a pair and I love em! Also the jack Dejohnette are another favorite. So, what do you guys use?

Old 06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Davenhurst is on a distinguished road
Vater Manhattan 7A - ALWAYS. Not too heavy or thick - they work well for intricate, subtle playing but also really hold it together when the rock's happening.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

I use the Zildjian 5A DIP sticks, the ones with the rubber grip. Not too sure if I'd recommned them though. They're good sticks and all but the grip can get sort of sticky and uncomfortable when playing.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
Dipsticks are good. I usually dont like Zildjian sticks though because every pair of nylon tipped Z's Ive had the tip always comes off.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

The worst feeling when playing drums is when you're getting into the song and the groove and all of a sudden the stick just slips from your hand and is sent flying somewhere where you can't reach it. You then panic and either stop, play with one hand, or get a spare somewhere if you have it. Pretty embarassing.

The DIP sticks have decent grip, have you tried using the wood tip?

For grip you could also go with drum gloves or gorilla snot.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Davenhurst is on a distinguished road
I never used to drop sticks, had a few break mid song but that's pretty easy to deal with.

Nowadays we're doing a cover of the Kink's "See My Friends" but in a rocked up, psychedelic kind of way - at the end we speed up to breaking point and then go absolutely mental to make it sound like everything's falling apart. By this point I'm all over the kit and I don't know what's coming next, occasionaly a stick goes flying in some direction.... but I've learned to work mistakes into my playing, even if I don't lose a stick and maybe I try a fill that screws up or something - there's always a way to work with that mistake and have it sit comfortably in what's going on.

I've recently found out that Robert Fripp does this with his guitar playing too, it's a good way of feeling relaxed about playing and excited that even you as the performer could have to deal with something unexpected, and before you know it you're playing something you'd never have thought of had something not gone "wrong".

Maybe I'm rambling, it's kind of a hard one to describe but these days I love the idea of screwing up. I guess I'm lucky that I'm in the right band with like-minded musicians.

By the way - I've uploaded a picture of my setup into the gallery section if you're interested.