Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

View Poll Results: How proficient are you in reading sheet music for drums?
I can't tell a quarter note from an eight note. 11 8.73%
I'm somewhat proficient 52 41.27%
I can sightread a snare piece 63 50.00%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Poker face

Who here can read music?

Reading that post about Drumline made me think how many drummers here can actually read music. I mean.. playing songs and doing lots of cool ear don't require you to read sheet music for snare parts and stuff. So my question is.. How proficient are you at reading music. Im starting a poll on this..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Crash

a drummer who can't read music? That's a like a college student who doesn't know how to read dr seuss.. of course I exaggerate.. but reading music is a must for all drummers i think... it should be mandatory because you're the rhythm!

Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 PM
G-Unit

Well in my opinion playing by ear is more important for drumset players.. no one is gonna play song on the set while looking at a sheet of music on stage... also set is more based on feel... but when you consider learning purposes, you're right.. reading music is important.. but i can also understand why so many drumset players can't read music... I myself can read a little music but I don't really practice it enough to be proficient.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 AM
lukewarm

hm, not too well to be honest with you.. i guess i go in the category of teeny bopper drummer who just plays along to songs

Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Unit
no one is gonna play song on the set while looking at a sheet of music on stage...
It depends upon the situation. In many bands, you're right - reading isn't a necessary skill. However, there are many times when drum set players need to know how to read: recording sessions, orchestral work, pit orchestras for musicals, etc.

I definitely agree that one doesn't need to read music in order to play musically - but IMHO it's such a valuable skill, making it easier to learn new material, and making a drummer (or any other musician) much more marketable.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Crash

malletjazz you put it beautifully. It's all about marketability. So many drummers are alike these days and the competition is fierce for limited jobs and gigs so why not get that extra edge.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
I'm no Steve Gadd but I am a pretty good reader. And I have a much better than average understanding of the logic of the notation system.

FWIW, I have played many gigs where I was on stage reading all or part of the show.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Poker face

isn't that a bit unprofessional when you're on stage as a drummer and reading music? I think it'd be better to memorize a piece and master it so that you can concentrate on showmanship, dynamics, and other musical factors. Most of the drum corps dont even read off of music during shows and they have hundreds of lines to play

Old 09-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker face
isn't that a bit unprofessional when you're on stage as a drummer and reading music? I think it'd be better to memorize a piece and master it so that you can concentrate on showmanship, dynamics, and other musical factors. Most of the drum corps dont even read off of music during shows and they have hundreds of lines to play
Not every performance opportunity allows the luxury of memorizing the piece(s) you're playing.

Also, a really good (music) reader will be able to play very musically - musicality and reading are not mutually exclusive. The best readers get hired precisely because they can play a piece musically as they read/perform it for the very first time. Many of them are in LA playing in orchestras for movie and TV soundtracks, situations where time really is money.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 PM
escalade

Sure but I think that is the exception rather than the rule. You can correct me if I'm wrong malletjazz, but I think that these people who have the skills to be able to read music and play musically at the same time are very rare. In some cases, I would think all that much time would not be saved because if the piece is complicated they won't be able to play it 100% correctly and they'll have to go back and do it again, etc.