Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

View Poll Results: How proficient are you in reading sheet music for drums?
I can't tell a quarter note from an eight note. 11 8.73%
I'm somewhat proficient 52 41.27%
I can sightread a snare piece 63 50.00%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
I hate to admit it but practicing snare parts and sight reading can be a really painful process. That's one of the benefits of an instructor over teaching yourself. An instructor really motivates you and pushes you to do the painful stuff. In the end, we all come out as better drummers.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

pantera is on a distinguished road

Re: Who here can read music?

I find this thread interesting. When I was a teen I found it very difficult to read music for whatever instrument I was playing. With drums I played completely by ear, which worked sometimes and did not work many other times.

With my son learning drums now I have him always read his exercise sheet music, I don't let him play anything by ear unless he's just listening to a CD or radio and trying to play around with drum parts. I'm learning with him too and see the value of learning to read sheet music first.

But you need a feedback loop; playing off sheet music will sound very mechanical. I find it best (if possible) to see and hear the music being played, then going back and forth to the sheet to see where things are done and what piece is being used. Only after doing that a few times will the drumming sound more fluid and have more energy.

I hope my son and I both get to the point where we can scan a sheet of music and have a very solid idea of what it should sound like.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

TheStranger is on a distinguished road

iam learning how to read. read easy stuff right now.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Unit View Post
Well in my opinion playing by ear is more important for drumset players.. no one is gonna play song on the set while looking at a sheet of music on stage... also set is more based on feel... but when you consider learning purposes, you're right.. reading music is important.. but i can also understand why so many drumset players can't read music... I myself can read a little music but I don't really practice it enough to be proficient.
Actually I've seen many drummers play set, while reading music, it's very common (and just about a requirement) in Big Band settings, and for playing set for musicals, and shows.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker face View Post
isn't that a bit unprofessional when you're on stage as a drummer and reading music? I think it'd be better to memorize a piece and master it so that you can concentrate on showmanship, dynamics, and other musical factors. Most of the drum corps dont even read off of music during shows and they have hundreds of lines to play
It depends on the situation, if your in a big band, pit orchestra, etc. and everyone is reading charts it's not unprofessional at all. Our big band book has over 200 charts in it, it is pretty tough to memorize that much music. Remember also that a drum corp show lasts only about 15 minutes, a dance band job (wedding, etc) is typically 3 to 4 hours. Musicals are 2 to 3 hours of playing. That's a lot of memorization!!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

lol, if you just started playing drums...lelarn how to reasd music and what each note is and how to play it. If you don't know your basic rudiments(ex. paradiddle)...well learn em', if you don't know what a sixlet is...you is far far behind...and if you don't know what a 16th is, I hope you're just starting. Learning how to play other time signatures other than stuff based on common or half time is tricky cause each note is then played different, but good drummers should fer' know how to/be able to read various peices of music and know what it's supposed to be without hearing it.
But, playing set with friends/making music and/or just being in a small group that plays shows n' stuff, "feeling" it dominates all, but if you can write down what you're playing that just puts you one step ahead of most other drummers.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

StickBreaker16 is on a distinguished road

I play a wind instrument as my primary instrument. I play drums for fun. I can read rhythms and notes well. But I cant read drumset music really fast. I know people who can read drum music but cant keep rhythm on a drum set. So...being able to read music has no effect on having rhythm.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

haah, forgot about that...most drummers don't know how to read a major scale, but it's definately handy :P I prefer snare over malletts anyday, but it's nice to be able to play pitched instruments andbe able to read/know what notes you're playing.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

StickBreaker16 is on a distinguished road

I prefer drum set over any percussion. I think its the most creative and customizable instrument.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Bambam is on a distinguished road

I learned early... as a singer. My mother sang opera, so the house was always full of sheet music. When it came to tackling drum music, I picked up a book by the Eurythmic's Dave Stewart - it was called "Welcome to the dots", and a part of it was dedicated to percussion. I learned the basics from that, but I must admit that now I tend to read the song music and transform it to rhythm in my head as I play - I can read the measures faster. Seems strange, but it's true for me. And I find that when non-drummers write the drum part the breaks are lacking. There you are waiting for your big moment, and when it comes along the notation says "dugga dugga dugga dugga ping!" Fork to that (excuse my speech impediment). I'm also one of the rare breed of singing drummers too, and being a dummy there are only so many things I can do before my brain melts, so reading the drum music is the first option out the window!