Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-04-2005, 12:08 PM
escalade

Post tapping making people insane

what do you guys tap on when you're not on the set? I was tapping on my desk in a class im taking the other day and the teacher always has to tell me to stop.. I don't even do it consciously it just happens and I have to realize this and catch myself.. otherwise, i tap everywhere i go.. when im sitting down i tap on the chair and practice my double bass, when im in the car i tap on the steering wheel, and i also tap on the desk.. anyone else have this problem?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Beamerzz

hahaha thats a good point, I get that all the time from my friends because i tap constantly and move my foot as if I was playing the bass drum pedal... ur right I dont even think about it, it just sort of happens but its good practice as well

Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Jinusean

it IS good practice if you don't have access to a drumset. If your family, friends, or roommate who lives with you can deal with your drum practice time, they sure as hell can deal with some tapping

Old 08-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I think I find that the one place I do it that seems to get them everytime is in a check out line.
Ill be holding a pin and start tapping it and they will look at me and just be like It is going to take a min or to thinking that I am telling them to hurry up and then I have to exsplain why Im tapping.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Larry

hm, that's a subtle way to get them to work faster.. not a bad idea...

the rest of you have ADD, stop tapping!

haha just kidding mates, that what people tell me all the time.. that i have ADD because I tap a lot.. but I like to think of it as.. "A Damn-good Drummer"

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

meahal19 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to meahal19

Re: tapping making people insane

I am the tapasaurus. Its in your blood and you will never get rid of it. Family and coworkers mock me constantly on this. When I am conscious of it Im usually doing some rudiments between hands and feet. When im not conscious no telling what kind of cool stuff could be coming out. Either way IMO if you are truly a drummer you have those beats racing inside your head always looking for a place to escape. Get used to it and use to your advantage. Im 45 with no end in sight for not tapping on everything within my reach.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

chaser334 is on a distinguished road

Im glad im not the only one! Yeah ive allways said this, percussionist is just another word for "I LIKE TO BANG THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING" and that means everything, Tables, chairs, my legs, walls, and everytime i do it i end up pissing someone off. Teachers, peers, adults, and my annoying mother.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

xxvenom13xx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xxvenom13xx Send a message via Skype™ to xxvenom13xx

Ha. I tap too. During band camp when we were off of the mallets I tapped out Come on Eileen...good habit for practice, especially since I'm not near my set and won't be for a while (:

Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

I'm a tapasaurus too. I'm guessing we all are. My parents bought me my first drum set for Christmas one year because I drove them nuts beating on the back of the car seat. My strongest memory of my older sister is her constant nagging about my tapping.

I promised my wife I won't tap while I drive with her. I quietly play beats with my left foot instead. When I'm in my own car I play with a stick on the dashboard with my left hand and play left foot bass patterns...probably not safe but wtf.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

drum_ritual is on a distinguished road

Personally, i take great pride in pissing off my coworkers with my never-ceasing finger/foot tapping. And when I pick up a couple of fresh pencils, I can see my coworkers scatter. No, seriously, everyone just seems to be accustomed to my clickety-clacking. It's not even embarassing anymore. I wouldn't do it at a job interview or in a court of law though.