Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer

The Technique Thread

I figured I'd make a thread about this since there are so many technical aspects of drumming. Theres the moeller technique, gladstone, jo jo's push pull technique, the gravity blast, etc.... So if you have any ideas or maybe want to know what a technique is that you may have heard about, ask away and myself or other members will help you with it.

-Avenged-

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Hm, this is something that's always interested me. So many different techniques popping up these days. Can you just briefly explain each of them and basically just what they are? That'd be awesome.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Ill explain the gladstone technique first cause thats what im working on myself. The gladstone technique vritually halves the work you have to do in a stoke.
In a normal snare stroke, you lift the stick up and then push it down to get a hit right? The gladstone technique eliminates the upstroke, therefore increasing speed. It uses the freestroke to accomplish this.
The freestroke is letting the stick naturally bounce up without stopping it. Now, most people say the gladstone technique is basically the freestroke, but theres a little more to it.
Basically to do a stoke with the gladstone technique, stay loose and throw the stick down fast but not hard. Then let the natural rebounding momentum of the stick bring your wrist back up. Dont pull up. Let the rebound do the work!
Now I could explain further, but there is already an excellent resource on this topic. Building Monster Chops 1-3 on "Tiger" Bill Meligari's website.
Heres the link: http://www.tigerbill.com/drumlessons...tone_part1.htm
If you have any questions, just ask.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Hey people, Im bringing this thread back from the dead to share the technique I use to get a quick double hit on my pedal.

People have told me this is "heel toe", but its more of a "toe heel" type thing.
Heres how....
1. Get your feet in the heel up position.

2. The next thing you want to do is do a regular stroke with the pedal. THEN, After you hit once, slam your heel onto the heel plate (basically, into the heel down position) You should not have to lift your leg to get the second hit. Its more of a "Hit/drop" motion. You do a regular stroke, then drop your heel onto the heel plate.

3. You should get a quick double hit depending on how fast you do the drop/hit motion. Once again, you only lift your leg once, thats to get the first hit. Then you drop your heel onto the heelplate.

Enjoy. And tell me how it goes. If you guys know any other ways to get a similar effect, please share. -Avenged-

Old 08-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Cool.
That's a neat technique that's similar to the heel toe technique. In what way is this different?
Is this only for quick double hits?