Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

Re: Female drummers

For quoting stuff out of John Bonham's biography (A Thunder of Drums) and then telling me I don't know John Bonham, them's fightin' words!

I suggest really listening.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

heather112069 is on a distinguished road

Hi Bo,

What I got out of your thread here is that it doesn't matter whether you are male or female, if your not a good musician, or you don't mesh with the prople your going to play with, then you probably won't get the gig. I agree with that. I also believe that people don't get gigs becuase they have green hair and some people just don't like green hair. There are SO many reasons why a musian may not get a gig that have NOTHING to do with actual skill, musicianship or even gender. I think you made a good point and any musician needs to be thick skinned.

That being said. Skill can be learned, getting along can be learned and green hair can be dyed brown. Gender cannot be changed. and frankly it is a slap in the face for anyone, and I mean anyone to be told they are skilled, have a sunny disposition and great hair, but they aren't getting the job because of gender, skin color, sexual orientation, etc..

An extreme example of "changing" to get a gig, is Billy Tipton. he was a jazz pianist and had a great career in the 40's, 50's and 60's. But when he died in his 70's, it was discovered that he was a woman. During Billy's heyday being a MAN was required if you were not a singer and wanted a career in Jazz. I do not think that is the case today. However, the fact is that female drummers/musicians have different history that male drummers/musicians. Our history tells us that we may indeed not be getting jobs because we are women.

I don't want you to drop this thread because the other side of the argument is that we, as women, may be paying more attention to our gender than to other "controllable" aspects of gigging. That is a good point as well and no one should be defensive that you bring that up.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Heather,
Since you like jazz, if you haven't already, check out Terri Lynn Carrington. You'll not find a more accomplished jazz drummer. A winner.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Who's quoting, Bo, you or me? I wasn't quoting, just recalling. You can't read that biography without concluding that John's a slammer at least most of the time. I also would suggest really listening.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

OK dtx - this is me with my hands up in the air, backing away....

But yeah, what Heather said.

Here's an even odder story of an actual jazz bassist I met that works around So Cal. Initially she was a man then had a sex-change to become a woman. Still works alot as a bass player, and until I was told, I would never have known, she's really attractive too. Her bass playing is even better.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

drummerdan198 is on a distinguished road

in all and complete honesty.........i think a girl behind a drumset is a very sexy and attractive thing! dont let anyone tell you its unlady like! lol just ask jen ledger from skillet! that girl can play and look so good while doing it lol.......she is quite the lady! so keep playing! God bless!