Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 06-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road

Smile Introductions

Well, looks like this forum is up and running again so might as well do some introductions before we start talking about drums.

Hi, I'm gyutae and I'm currently in New Jersey. I'm 20 years old and I've been playing drum set for about 7 years now, on and off - mostly for church bands.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
Ill do one too. Im AvengedDrummer aka Matt. Im 15, i've been playing drums for about 4 years, and I live in Central New Hampshire.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Nice to meet you Matt. 11 is a pretty young age to start playing drums, which is a good thing. I think I started freshman year of high school.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Davenhurst is on a distinguished road
My go -

My name's Dave, from Bristol in South-West UK. 27 years old, I've been playing for about 11 years. Currently drumming in Gravenhurst, signed to Warp Records. We're just about to record our next album in Bristol and hope to tour extensively when it's released.

Done a lot of touring, most recently supporting Belle & Sebastian in Germany, France, Belgium and Holland. Did a US tour last year with a seriously good band called Broadcast, also on Warp Records. Played a festival on Mount Fuji in Japan, will never forget it.

I also play in Azalea City Penis Club, we're just putting the finishing touches to our first album.

I'm married, work as a picture framer and drink too much - that's all there is to do on tour.

Equipment list? Ok, if you insist:

Yamaha Stage Custom 14,16,22 w/Pinstripes
Pearl Jr. Robinson Snare w/Genera HD Dry cranked very very high
Bosphorus 13" Masters Hats
Zildjian 20" K ride
Bosphorus 18" Antique Jazz Crash/Ride (used as heavy crash)
Istanbul Agop 18" Trad Dark Crash
Istanbul Agop 18" Trad Heavy Crash
Sabian B8 Pro 18" China

Occasionaly:

Zildjian 13" K Hats
Zildjian 20" K Custom ride
Istanbul Agop 16" Trad Dark Crash
Various others lying around.....

Pearl Eliminator double kick pedal
Pearl RH2000 Remote Hi-hat stand
Various hardware

Favourite drummers:

Britt Walford - Slint
Charles Hayward - This Heat
Bill Bruford - like I need to tell you
John Mcentire - Tortoise
John Herndon -Tortoise, The For Carnation
Loads more - Dave Grohl, Jimmy Chamberlain.....

Last edited by Davenhurst; 06-18-2006 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-18-2006, 11:07 AM

How do you like the antique bosphorus? I was on cymbalsonly.com and the splashes from that line sond really good. Oh, and nice to meet you.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 PM

Sorry I accidentally hit edit post instead of reply....im an idiot. I know. Once again sorry, and I have heard the Trad Agops and they sound wonderful. The crashes have a nice unique sound to them and the Trad China pangs sound really good. They seem to be priced reasonably too.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Premium Member

is drinking all you really do on tour? Is that usually the norm for touring artists these days?

Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Davenhurst is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae
is drinking all you really do on tour? Is that usually the norm for touring artists these days?
I really don't know if it's the norm, but I imagine it's what a lot do.

A typical day on our last tour consisted of getting up at about 7 or 8 and driving for 8 hours across Europe to our next show. This isn't actually too bad, our manager did the driving and we're only a 3-piece so we could stretch out. Plus I have a sexy new laptop so could watch episode after episode of South Park.

So we'd get to the venue around 4PM and load in, the headline band (in this case Belle & Sebastian) would soundcheck until about 5, so we'd retreat to the dressing room and wait. That's when the beer gets cracked open, there's not really a lot else to do and after 8 hours in the bus it's good to unwind a bit. A couple of beers down, then comes soudcheck. We're a really quick band to soundcheck, and because we were using the same equipment and crew every night all our settings were saved meaning it was just a case of running through a couple of tracks and ironing out any minor issues.

After that, we probably had 2-3 hours before we were due on stage. Time for a nice meal, washed down with more free beer.

I guess by the time we go on stage I've usually had 3 or 4 already, and I always have one with me when I play. I don't know about you guys but I can't stand to play a show sober - I don't mean I need to be rolling around pissed, but just need to take off that nervous edge that I always get (and hopefully always will get).

After the set there's always that element of relief and elation, so the beer starts flowing and continues for the rest of the night. If it runs out, we'd just ask for more - part of the problem is that it's all free.

Later on we'd have a couple more in the hotel and discuss the evening's events, then fall into bed absolutely hammered.

Repeat to fade....

Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

I guess that's really the life of the rock star, haha. That's really interesting. I only thought that happened on a VH1 "Real Life" sort of episode but maybe it is the norm. Beer is good, haha. I'd like to hear more about that.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

benji01 is on a distinguished road
I'm benji, I haven't been playing drums that long but it's a good time. I love combining a kit with percussion toys and djembe/congas. I took piano lessons for 10 years and now teach and play piano, guitar and bass.