Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road

Speed of drumming progress

A lot of times I get frustrated because I'm impatient and can't really wait to see progress in my drumming. How long did it take you for you to see a noticeable gain in your drumming speed and technique? How many hours of practicing single strokes and paradiddles before you got a lot faster with your hands?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

DrummerMom is on a distinguished road
I understand. However, getting impatient does help your progress. I found that out the hard way.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I would have to say the only time I ever really noticed my progres was when I would take a break from drumming for a little while.
when I would get back on the kit I would notic that I could play things faster and with a lot cleaner, and I have also noticed the same for just sitting down with a pad and working on hands.

But do get me wrong I am not saying to stop practicing by any means. I am only saying that if you should have anouther activity that is going to take up more of your time try and get involved in that for a while then come back to the drums.

when I first joined the navy and went out to sea I didnt see a drumset for almost 3 years and it really sucked but when I finally got back behind one I had found that I could do things on there that I couldnt do before.
I am not saying take a break for that long because you will hate it but maby a few days, a week, or even a month and when you get back on you will be able to tell the diffrenice.
I say it kinda like seeing children that you dont see that often. you see them one month and the next time you see them they are huge, it is kinda the same thing.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
full metal,
Wouldn't the long lay off actually deteriorate your skills rather than make them better?

I would think that not playing drums for 3 years would make you really rusty and that you'd lose a lot of your speed and coordination.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
I've found that whatever new material I'm working on, it always takes a little time for it to start showing up in my playing. The results may not make themselves apparent right away, and that can be extremely frustrating. One of the great lessons I've had to learn over the years is to be patient with myself, and to trust that if I put in the work, that I'll reap the benefits eventually.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
you would think that a long lay off would and it did kinda hurt me, But I guess with me a little time off dosnt hurt me.
I went thru the same thing on my skateboard, I wasnt not able to land the tricks that I was working on everyday and took a break for about a month and when I got back on the board I could do the tricks that I had been working on.

Like I said I wasnt meaning to take a break for 3 years and in my case I didnt have much choise(I couldnt even get on the practice pad) but I would say just take a week off and do other activites and then get back on it and bet you can see a diffrence.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Russ is on a distinguished road
Progress of any kind takes time and honestly you're not going to see results overnight. You're just going to have to have faith that what you do today will produce some benefits tommorow.

Put your head down and get in the habit of practicing things even if you don't see immediate results. In the long term, you will definitely be rewarded for your struggles on the drums.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Mapex4Ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae
full metal,
Wouldn't the long lay off actually deteriorate your skills rather than make them better?

I would think that not playing drums for 3 years would make you really rusty and that you'd lose a lot of your speed and coordination.

It definately did for me!!!! 5 year lay off and the I realized I'd forgotten more than I knew!!! There's frustration!! As far as the how do you know when you've improved any? Well it's tough because you hear yourself everyday. I recorded myself for 2 weeks doing paradiddles and double paradiddles, as well as other rudiments, and when I listened to the first recording then the latest ....... I swore it wasn't me!! Never give up. If it's boredom more than frustration, well try another rudiment or anything else other than what you may be practicing for a long period of time.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
I find the more I practice the better I get. Whenever I'm off the kit for extended periods, I get very sloppy, slow and weak.

Staying consistant helps all those little musclesyou don't think about stay in shape.