Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

DrummerMom is on a distinguished road

What do you think the hardest percussion instrument to play is?

For me I would say piano.

I can play bongos, congas, timbales, tambourines, and many more percussion instruments. Piano gives me fits!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
Tabla. Definately tabla. I have not played it, but I have heard it takes decades to master. (If its even possible to master it.)

Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Drummer1919 is on a distinguished road
I have never herd of the tabla, I did take piano lessons for about 3 years though and I agree it is the hardest percussion insturment that I have ever played, but it really helps with playing the bells and all insturments that have notes you have to read.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Of course, technically, the piano is indeed a percussion instrument, but I'm going to set it aside for the moment, because it really is treated as an instrument unto itself.

Hard to argue with tabla - it takes months just to get a good sound out of the instrument. Add to that the fact that it utilizes a decidedly different approach to rhythm compared to what most of us are used to, and that complicates it that much more.

In terms of standard orchestral percussion, I think the toughest is timpani, just because of the challenges related to intonation.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
me it has to be timpini and mallets. I wouldnt really say piano even though it is the same concept the mallets can be even harder like when you are trying to hold 2 mallets in each hand and playing multiple note like that, and then the timpini for the tunning aspect and how quite you have to be while trying tune the thing in the middle of a concert (always gave me a hard time)

But on that note there are still a lot of percusion insterments out there that I have never touched or played on that I would love to try.
one of the fun ones that I got to do was in japan on the tyco (wrong spelling) drums, that is a lot of fun and is a very festive drum to play on.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Yeah I don't really think piano is a percussion instrument either. It just requires so many different skills that it should be classified as its own instruement as malletjazz said. You would never call a pianist a percussionist. In fact, they'd probaly be insulted or something.

I think the hardest percussion instrument to play is timpani because it requires you to use your feet to tune the drum and change the pitch. Few other percussion instruments require the player to do this. So it's something new to adjust to. Also, I think marimba is difficult because it resembles the piano and requires a lot of musical knowledge. Plus, it's pretty cool when the marimba players start playing with 4+ sticks.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
A little off topic here but this is the wikpedia clasification for a piano

A piano or pianoforte is a musical instrument classified as a keyboard, percussion, or string instrument, depending on the system of classification used.

so I guess it could be a percusion insterment but like you said I thik you would piss off a piano player if you called them that, since you know calling anyone that plays anything other than drums a drummer they get really mad about crazy musicans

Old 08-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Glynes is on a distinguished road
I haven't tried too many things outside my kit, but my bohdran is a real challenge. The beater technique is very different then wielding sticks. I went to a clinic, and sort of got the hang of it (and found out I'm ambidextrous, which, judging from the teacher's reaction is pretty unusual ... I chalk that up to playing open-handed on my kit), but haven't practiced since. I'd love to take some lessons and make some real progress.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but what is a bohdran?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Mapex4Ever is on a distinguished road
Definately for me it was timpani!!! All I could think of was driving a car and going full throttle!!!!