Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer

Clinics

So, have any of you guys been to any drum clinics?

I've been to three, the first being Kenny Aronoff. Phenominal player. Theres an article about it in the drummer experiences article section.

Second was not really a clinic but more of a concert. Marco Minnemann, Terry Bozzio, And Chad Wackerman. All three are simply amazing, but I think Marco EASILY outskilled Bozzio and Wackerman. (dont hurt me! )

And Thirdly I saw Steve Gadd. Absolutely amazing clinic. Such an amazing drummer, and quite a nice dude. I got his autograph too.

Ive won a bunch of stuff too. Kenny aronoff signature cowbell, T-shirt, a Zildjian/body glove cymbal bag, cymbal cleaner, another Steve gadd tour shirt....

So, share some of your clinic experiences.....

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
I'm fortunate, in that I've had the opportunity to see many clinics over the years. Live long enough, and things start adding up for you.

Let's see...some of the more memorable ones...

Dave Weckl at the Connecticut Percussive Arts Society Chapter "Day Of Percussion" in 1984. If I remember correctly, this was one of his first clinic appearances. I don't remember exactly what he talked about, but I remember being impressed by how great his drums sounded, purely acoustically (no PA, nothin').

Ed Thigpen giving a clinic on (what else?) brushes. He was wonderful - a true gentleman, quite gracious - but it was really humbling to be in the presence of a master brush player like that. It made me realize how rudimentary my own brush skills were (and are, unfortunately).

Louis Bellson. A legend, a phenomenal player, and everything you hear is true - he has to be one of the absolute nicest guys on the planet.

Dom Famularo at the CT PAS "Day of Percussion" a few years ago. Again, believe the press clippings. Not only is he a killer player, but his spirit and positive energy are remarkable.

Airto, at yet another CT PAS "Day" in 2004. He split his clinic between "percussion" and drum set, and sounded great at both. He's one of the most musical drum set players I've ever heard.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Wow those are some big time clinics guys! Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to attend clinics like that but I did attend a clinic held by my drum teacher. It wasn't fancy but it was pretty good stuff.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

DrummerMom is on a distinguished road
I haven't been to any drum clinics. It seems that they have them in NC and Georgia. But not in South carolina.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerMom
I haven't been to any drum clinics. It seems that they have them in NC and Georgia. But not in South carolina.
You may be doing this already, but for the sake of discussion, I'd look for clinics here:

- Check for the annual "Days of Percussion" hosted by Percussive Arts Society state chapters. There's a South Carolina chapter, and they had a few clinicians for their "Day" last year, including Ed Soph. I'm not sure where the event will take place this year, or who the clinicians will be, but I'd suggest contacting someone in the state chapter for more information.

(I'm having some difficulty negotiating the SC chapter site, but hopefully they'll update it soon to reflect the coming year's roster for their Day of Percussion.)

- Do you live near any colleges or universities with music departments? If so, find out if the percussion department is hosting any clinicians, and if they'll let the "general public" attend.

- Music stores and drum shops sometimes host clinicians. I don't know what stores are in your part of the state, nor do I know if they're of a mind to bring in clinicians.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
theonly thing I would consider a clinic (they called it a clinic)
was when I was in high school on the drum line and we went to an indoor compation just for drumlines and you would play and and then some really famous drummer would talk to you about your playing and tell you would you could do diffrently.

the last we went we had ralph hardaman he is really big in the DCI world.