Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road

Quitting drums?

Have you ever been discouraged to the point where you actually quit drums for a period of time or seriously considered it? I know some drummers who tried to make it big time as session drummers or professional drummers but eventually gave it up and pursued other goals.

It's definitely a hard business to be in but quitting might not be the best answer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Rewold is on a distinguished road
I've been playing maybe 4years now and I had maybe one year I didn't play drums at all...But then in school I had music lesson and we made a band and played at concerts and that sort of things..when I had this "break" from playing drums I wasn't interested at all of playing them but from when we made that band I have been eager drummer again =D

Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I know what you mean Rewold. Playing in a band definitely motivates you to play and try to get better at the drums. I think it's because of the fact that your band members are relying on you and you don't want to let them down. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
I did get burnt out at one point back when I was a college student, and I took a summer off from playing. It was actually very beneficial - when I got back to school that next semester, "my batteries were recharged," so to speak, and that year was one of my most productive school years.

I still do get discouraged from time to time, as just about anyone does who works as a musician. (The fun gigs don't pay all that much, and the gigs that pay often aren't all that much fun.) There are times when I give serious thought to quitting music as a profession, but even if I were to do that, I'm sure I'd still play music purely for the enjoyment of it. I can't imagine myself giving up playing entirely.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Well that's the beauty of having music as your profession. If you really love doing it, then it's not really a profession. It's just getting paid for doing your hobby.

Of course everyone gets burnt out though but hopefully you'll be able to carry on. Good luck malletjazz!

What would you fall back on if you were to give up music?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae
Well that's the beauty of having music as your profession. If you really love doing it, then it's not really a profession. It's just getting paid for doing your hobby.
Of course, the flipside to that is that doing something you love as a profession means that some of the joy can be taken out of it: getting ignored playing at private functions (where one is basically "part of the decorations," in the eyes of some party guests), having to deal with drunks at clubs, or having to play music one wouldn't normally choose to play ("Margaritaville," anyone?), etc. It's a balancing act, that's for sure, and you have to make an effort to find and appreciate the joy in what you're doing.

Quote:
What would you fall back on if you were to give up music?
I'm not sure. That's probably one reason why I've stuck with music as long as I have. If I had a viable second career choice, I probably would have gone for it years ago.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Well I think you have the talent, the knowledge, and the passion to really suceed and to have fun with it.

All of the negatives do sound pretty unappealing though. I'd be interested to hear about more of some of your experiences.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
there have been several times over the past couple of years where I have thought just packing them away for a while, but my wife keeps talking me out of it. she knows how much I love it.

I think the 2 biggest things right now is the baby because I can only play when he is not around and 2 that I dont have a band to play with.

It seems like whenever I haev a band to play with I caome up with some great things but when I am buy my self I cant come up with nothing at all and that really sucks.

Over the past year I have come up with some stuff that I will be able to use later but It just seems to be going slower with out a band to play with.

I need to have some motivation.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Russ is on a distinguished road
Playing with a band is great motivation. As a drummer you're also a musician and it's natural for you to want to be part of a band and make music. Without a band, you're just a drummer hitting on things. With a band, you're a drummer making music and providing the foundation.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Mapex4Ever is on a distinguished road
This may sound weird to some, but I had actually taken a 5 year break in my drumming career. It was the worst thing I have ever done!!! I find that playing just 20 minutes a day maximum is kind of a tease for me. It leaves me wanting more. So, I'm motivated to add to what I had begun and look forward to coming up with another part to a drum score the next day. I also have recently gotten into other forms of percussion such as drum circles. Where you and a bunch of people get together with nothing but hand drums and play together!! It's a blast. It's also VERY inspirational. Taking those raw and melodic drum beats and applying them to your set!! Ever listen to Godsmack ..... Voodoo or Serenity?? Very melodic and VERY Tribal. Leave nothing out. Explore new genres, jazz, big band, etc. and experiment but do not over do the playing alone. 20 minutes per day works for me. It may be what you need. Just a thought.