Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

horia314 is on a distinguished road

Re: Will open handed playing become standard?

Hello there. When I first started playing (a not so long time ago), I picked up the open-hand technique "by ear". The hi-hat was on the left side, so the left hand should play it no? The snare was somewhere to the center, so I'll just use my right hand for it. It was only until later that I discovered the "proper" way of drumming, and I partially switched over to it (I don't really play that way unless I'm using the ride cymbal, or the floor tom).

The main drawbacks of this method are that you have to either bring your ride next to the hi-hat, or switch over to the right hand when you have the ostinato on the ride.

The true benefit, I think, of using both methods, is that it really makes your left hand as strong as your right. For me, in particular, the left hand was very weak, and lacked the finesse or strength of the right one, and I think discovering cross-handed playing (coming, as I've said from an open-handed background) really pushed me to focus on bringing them both at the same level.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Johnboy is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I am a guitarist but used to play my friend's kit back in high school (12+ years ago). Recently, due to Rock Band (granted, I know it's not the same as a real kit, but regardless) I have gotten the itch to start playing the drums again. I was going to look into purchasing a kit but had some questions on setup... hopefully I can get various opinions on the matter from you all?

I am right-handed and (primarily) left-footed. (I played soccer and developed my right foot a good amount, so I am nearly even with my feet.) When playing rock band (again, I know not real), I've noticed that I am more consistant when I put the kick pedal under my left foot. With the Rock Band kit, it's easy to stay right handed and put your left foot on the pedal. With a real kit, the task becomes more difficult.

Should I learn/practice open-handed playing? (It would be a lefty setup but I'd be hitting the snare with my right hand, high hat with left.) I can see where this would be beneficial to me but am a little worried about not crossing my arms. Do you think because I am basically a beginner that it will affect what I've learned so far? Also, if I get a double kick pedal, will it all become a moot point?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Johnboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
Should I learn/practice open-handed playing? (It would be a lefty setup but I'd be hitting the snare with my right hand, high hat with left.) I can see where this would be beneficial to me but am a little worried about not crossing my arms. Do you think because I am basically a beginner that it will affect what I've learned so far? Also, if I get a double kick pedal, will it all become a moot point?
Just a quick follow-up, I did a little more research and was wondering if perhaps I had a right-handed setup, then got a double-kick pedal (using the left pedal as my primary) and then got a remote (cable operatied) hi-hat pedal and put that over under my right foot near the actual kick drum?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer

I think as more teachers start teaching it to beginning students you'll see it become more and more prevalent. The old adage "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" applies here. The reason I don't switch to open is that I learned the cross hand technique, and it works for me. The same reason I play traditional grip most of the time, I learned it that way first and it works for me.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Location: From Philadelphia, PA but now I live in Brunswick Georgia
Spanky is on a distinguished road

I now use the left lead constantly, except for the trad grip, I switch over to the right. Now the left lead feels natural. My friend Billy Cobham told me that he will only play the left handed trad grip, and Billy is right handed. And he is the first person I know of, to play open handed. So just start doing things with your left hand brushing your teeth, eating, opening doors, get the picture. And your left will become more natural to use. Or just keep trying to lead with the stick in your left hand. To me, now there is no other way to play, except for my trad grip, and I like using my right for the trad when I use it.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Will open handed playing become standard?

I feel throughout this thread there is a bit of confusion going on.

IMHO open handed playing has nothing to do with the actual grip (how you hold the sticks in your hands) you apply.
It might be handier to use one grip or the other, this is a very personal matter.

For me open handed play is were you do not cross-over to have the right hand working the highat to the left (for right-handed drummers in essence)
There are a myriad of ways to play open handed, one of the more interesting ones (for me) is the way Bart Elliot places his (remote) highhat straight behind his snare, with a small overlap, and his rack tom to the left; supported from a cymbal stand.
He has a demo video on his site (www.drummercafe) where he shows this.
It sort of makes a lot of sense, if you do not feel that remote highat setups are less sensitive.

Cheers and happy drumming,

Harry

Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

dwdrums83 is on a distinguished road

The Open Handed playing is really better if you want to have more space for use withe the maximum relaxing, your tecnics and phrasing like Terry Bozzio for example, or Billy Cobahm or Simon Phillips.

Ps: Watch this video:

Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site dw (Mirko). I love the cymbal with the holes in it. I've never heard it being played. It's now on my wish list.

I was glad to hear what Harry had to say about hihat placement. I'm learning open handed playing and I put my hihat stand in back of my snare. It really makes sense. It opens up the left side for an extra ride and floor tom. My playing is freer and more creative now, because I have to try different patterns.

I have a lot of work to do. I am trying to lead with the left hand like Spanky talked about, so my left side becomes as natural as the right.

I encourage you Johnboy to start this way from the beginning. I think you're right that an "open-handed" set-up for a lefty just means putting the hihat off to the right (or I would suggest further back of the snare in the one or two o'clock position instead of 3 o'clock) and playing it with your right (weak) hand instead of crossing over with the left hand. The idea is to build up complete independence of movement with all limbs.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Location: From Philadelphia, PA but now I live in Brunswick Georgia
Spanky is on a distinguished road

Yeah I don't have any problems anymore, for the last 2 years I have been using the left hand lead, and I use the left lead about 95 percent of the time. But when I use the trad grip I go right hand lead, and I like it just like that. But I don't ever see me going back to right hand lead as my main way of playing ever again, except when I am doing trad grip, but I only go trad, about 5 to 8 percent now. And I am very happy that I switched, I can do much more.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:59 AM

favilaem is on a distinguished road

i think its cool but kinda hard if youve already been playing conservative the entire time.

Closed Thread