Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

K-SOLO is on a distinguished road

Re: Will open handed playing become standard?

And yes,the "open-handed" grip WILL become the "drumming" standard,simply because "traditional" grip is not taught any longer(traditional is all i know,and cannot,and will not play "open-handed"...)and "open-handed" playing is all the younger generation sees(live&videos)and taught. Emulation of other drummers,plays a huge factor in this as well. Like i said in an above post...Only"ol'skool & old timers" play "matched grip",now.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Feeling comfortable and getting a good grip on the sticks. Standard doesn't exist as long as your playing happily ever after.

How about left handed drummers, like my son for example. He doesn't switch the kit around and does great with the match grip.

The so called standard is nothing more than an unwritten law built inside the heads of those who could afford to go to a drumming class. Just like those who went to private schools and wore the same uniforms and ties. They all looked the same while others freely wore jeans and T-shirts to school.

As the song goes: "Just another brick on the wall".

Bottom line is "If the shoe (or in this case sticks) fits, wear it".

Yup I spoke my mind in school because I went to a public one and my parents and yours paid for my education. It's called Taxes.

Now back to the original question, "Will open handed playing become standard?"

NO! Ya got ta break some eggs to make an omelet.

This is a great thread, I rate it a 10 star but the forum only gave us 5.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Will open handed playing become standard?

Hi K-solo,

Open handed playing has NOTHING to do with the grip one uses.
Open handed play is a STYLE of drumming.
An "open handed grip" does NOT exist.
Open handed play basically (and very simplistically put) means that the left hand stays to the left of the right hand, so no crossing over when playing the hi-hat. The general idea is that one can freely work the kit this way.

There are a lot of drummers (right handed) that work with a remote hi-hat in front of them (still) using the right hand and in that manner have easier access to the open handed playing style. (In priciple, because during some complicated fills the styles can be mixed and cross over of hands is common)

Open handed play requires a high level of ambidexterity, the ultimate examples of drummers who play like that are Simon Phillips and Carter Beauford.
They use the matched grip.
Another open handed player of great virtue is Vinnie Colaiuta, who plays traditional grip.

I hope this will help the many "confused" guys who mix-up the actual grip with a certain style of drumming.

The open handed style of play will NEVER be the standard because for most of us it is not achievable to be great at it.
It is of course though a very good style to master when one plays a very big kit.

Cheers and Happy Drumming,

Harry

Old 11-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

NoDisrespect is on a distinguished road

Hi all
I have been playing for 20yrs, always (self taught) open-handed. I just started that way and have never changed. I do get really funny looks from other drummers, but if it sounds ok then why change??. My kit is standard right handed, but my ride is on the left above and between the (lowered) hi-hats and first tom, with my crash on the right. Like the video of Carter posted previously, I also use my left hand on the snare when required though (which confuses people even more!!) I've never been very technical, but when you are playing the majority of pub covers then they are nearly always 4/4 or 2/4 anyway. I have always resisted the idea of lessons simply because I thought that a "standard" teacher wouldn't know what to do with me. I do think Open playing may become more commonplace simply due to the "rockband" generation (who only have 4 things to hit so why cross??) progressing on to full kits. Anyway, thanks for listening!!
Mark

Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Will open handed playing become standard?

Hi Mark- No Disrespect

I like your take on this thread

Cheers and Happy Drumming,

Harry

Old 11-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

jimmyC is on a distinguished road

Hi, I was thinking that it is interesting to see how some drummers who play open-handed are lefties playing righty kits (ex. Lenny White) while others are righties (Bill Cobham). It seems for some the choice maybe comes from leading on the hats with the dominant hand while others simple believe, if it's on the left, hit it with the left and vice versa.

I have recently begun to practicing this approach and am really enjoying it even though it's very difficult for me. I have a ride on my left as well as the right and like the challenge and freedom I see in this approach. Somebody here asked earlier on if it might limit one in some way; I say it only adds to one's ability to express ideas. For me it is actually stimulating my creativity - maybe working the other hemisphere is doing it for me?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

mjbytd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae View Post
Open handed playing is gaining a lot of popularity and I think it opens up a lot of possibilities for moving around the kit. For those of you who do not know, open handed playing is basically grooving with your left hand on the high hat and right on the snare for a right handed player.

With this, there's no crossing so you're open to create more sounds. What do you think about shifting from the traditional playing to open handed playing? Do you think it'll ever become a reality?
yes i think so, if people want to invest the time into it. its not hard to do and you don't need to have certain special things to able to play that way. positive attitude, patience, and time and boom, you can do it.

true story.

Closed Thread