Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road

Surprisingly good instruments?

Have you ever played or owned any drums or cymbals (or other percussion) which surprised you in terms of how good they sounded? Specifically, these would be instruments you never would have expected to sound good but actually were pretty good, or which otherwise far surpassed your expectations.

I'll start: one instrument that really surprised me was the 3.5x14 Pulse piccolo snare drum, the one that gets blown out online for about $30, every few months or so. I picked one up, figuring that I could just pirate the hardware for use on another shell if I didn't like it, but it actually turned out to be a fairly good little drum. It's not without its flaws - for example, the strainer is huge, and if the heads stretch out the hoops will make contact with it; also, the hoops are a bit on the flimsy side - but with a little bit of tweaking (and maybe a new batter side hoop), it actually sounds decent. Far better than I ever would expect out of a $30 drum, that's for sure.

So...anyone else?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I thing that kinda suprised me on sound and value was those wuhan 8" splash chinas.
they are what like 12 dollars and was kinda amazed at how they sound.
I know there are some other things but I cant think of them right now.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
Yeah, I think Wuhans are the top contender in this category. My friend has a 22", and that thing just ROARS! I heard Neil Peart used to use them too...

Old 08-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Pulse isn't exactly a top of the line drum company but I'm glad you found good use of one of their drums. You are a drum god, malletjazz.

Also, everyone seems to rave about the Wuhans and how they're such a good deal. How would they compare to Zildjians if you disregarded the price?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Ive been wondering about the Ddrum kits and how they sound, they come in some cool and some anouing colors and designs, someone on here has some but I dont rember who it is, but I am wondering how they sound because they are priced reeally low.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Doesn't Ddrum mostly make electric drum sets and triggers?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 AM

Yea thats all they used to make but I guess they started making drums to. they sell them in musicans friend. Do you rember the pevy drums you know the people that make speakers, but as I rember they were very exspinsive and they looked really weired.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by full metal
Do you rember the pevy drums you know the people that make speakers, but as I rember they were very exspinsive and they looked really weired.
...and sounded great. At least, that was the case with the Peavey set I tried out a few years ago. If I had the cash, and if one were to become available, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 AM

yea I very much agree with you If I could have gotten I would have as well.
I would say they were up there with some of the great kits. I only ever got to play on one but I liked it.
they just looked so weired though.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Mapex4Ever is on a distinguished road
Wuhan is a good one. How does it compare to Zildjian or Sabian for that matter? It doesn't. It has a true oriental sound that no other manufacturer has capturered nor attempted to go after. They are very trashy sounding and loud!! An excellent choice for an accent cymbal. For me it was a Mapex drum set. I was trying all different sets at a major chain store, and the last set I tried was the Mapex. I remember the Mapex's of the late eighties and how terrible they sounded. I jumped behind it, and said to my friend who was with me, listen to this piece of ****!!! Well, I felt like an ass!! It blew away every other set I had played that day!!! Hands down the best set in the whole store. Needless to say, I went home with a new Orion series set that day Nowadays, alot of drums and companies surprise me!! They are all stepping up to the plate to offer what used to be top of the line equiptment a few years ago in a price range that is easy on the wallet!!