Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road

What do you want from a clinician?

(This question was inspired by the recent thread on endorsements, and the fact that endorsers often present clinics that are sponsored by the companies with which they're affiliated.)

When you attend a drum clinic, what is it you're looking for? Are you looking to be entertained? To see and hear some great drumming? Are you looking to learn something? "All of the above?" Does it depend on who is giving the clinic?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I say all of the above, but I think most of all I am there to learn something.

I havnt ever really been to a real drum clinic but I would say the biggest thing would have a reat drum teacher or perfosenal lisson to how I play and let me know some of the things I could work on to be better.
Guess thats what lessons are for right

but some times you would not get to see these perticular artist at any other time and I think it could be a great learning exsperince.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
I would say all of the above too. When I saw Kenny Aronoff in clinic, I got to see some great drumming, I learned alot about what goes on in the studio, and I was definately entertained. I think a good clinic is all those aspects combined into one. (Are you thinking of doing a clinic malletjazz? )

Old 08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengedDrummer
I think a good clinic is all those aspects combined into one. (Are you thinking of doing a clinic malletjazz? )
I'd agree - I know I want to be able to take something new away from a clinic, and not just "boy was he (she) a good player!" On the other hand, tho, I've sat through many dry, boring, overly-academic presentations (thinking back to my high school and college years), and there's definitely something to be said for engaging your audience.

And no, I don't have any clinics planned at the moment. I've given some in the past (mallet instruments, especially), but nothing is on the drawing board right now.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Russ is on a distinguished road
When attending a clinic, I'd first like to be wow'ed be the drummer. A drum solo with some cool tricks would be great to start off with.

Then it'd be great if the drummer could break down what he just did and teach the audience some of the things he played.

Finally, once that is accomplished and the audience got to know the style of the drummer a little bit, a question and answer session would be good to clear up any confusion.

Some free gear at the end would be nice too.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Glynes is on a distinguished road
The very best clinic I've attended was Cindy Blackman's ... a perfect blend of technical instruction, personal anecdotes, and a sense of what it's like to be in the business (e.g., she was on tour once for so long that when she got home she'd forgotten which key opened her door!). She opened and closed with mind-bending solos, had something to present for every level of accomplishment, and gave thoughtful answers to all the questions, most usually sitting back down at the drums for a minute to demonstrate what she was talking about. Nothing was presented in a "see how great I am" way, but more like "this might work for you too". Her closing solo was the most powerful thing I've ever experienced ... she did her trademark wailing on the drums, then slowed it down and got quieter, just bass, snare and hats, then just snare and hats, and finally just the hats, and got so quiet we could almost not hear it. We were all holding our breath, waiting for her to go crazy again, but instead she just laid the sticks down, said "thank you" and left the stage.
WOW! Blew my mind!

Kenny Aronoff's clinics are tremendous too, but Cindy brought a more drumming-balanced-with-real-life sense to it that most non-pro's can identify with. (In answer to one of my questions, she said that she doesn't drum every day; occasionally she as 'listening' days, when she just listens to music ... or sometimes just listens to the birds on her patio. I really liked that.)

Old 09-19-2006, 04:24 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Mapex4Ever is on a distinguished road
Thomas Lang ......................... 'nuff said.

Closed Thread