Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 01-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

-T$- is on a distinguished road

Custom drum manufacturers

Hi, I am a new guy here. I have been reading a lot of posts and now I am ready to ask a question.

First, a little bit about me. I have been playing for about 22 years. I have been in bands for 21. I have had neumerous kits over the years from junk to grand. I am currently playing a 1985 Tama Imperial Star that I bought in 1993 and I love it, but that 80s experimental stuff with the Mohogany shells is getting tired. I play a 16X24, 14X15, 16X18 configuration all flat and really low. I also use a Premeir Heavy Rock 9 snare.

I need the new drums to do triple (at least) duty. I play in three (for now) all original bands; a Surf-Punk band, Pop (Very Foo-Fighters) band, and an Alt-Country (Very Sun-Volt, Uncle Tuepelo, Wilco) band.

I have been doing a lot of research lately into buying a new kit. I would love a set of DWs in an exotic wrap with a high gloss laquer. However, price is preventing this. 3K for 3 shells is a little steep for my budget.

So, I have been looking at some smaller custom manufacturers using Keller shells and 2.3 mm hoops (just like DW) and I was looking for a little help if anyone has any experience with any good brands.

So far I have been looking at, Medicine man (a little pricey), Jeff Kirsch (I reaaly like these), C&C, Jackson, SJC, Phattie, FVF (U.K.), RJS, and the one I am leaning towards Tech Time (Canadian). I have also been looking at some stave drums (Lignum, Joshua Tree, Artisan) but that is another ballpark ($$$$$$).

I am trying to stay around $1,500 US for the 3 shells with RIMS-type mounts.

As for the shells; I am looking for 18X22 , 10X12, 12X14. All virgin shells with RIMS-type mounts. Preferably in an exotic veneer with a laquer (maybe fade or burst) finish. No Wraps!

I am also looking at American made Ludwigs (already priced exotic w/ laquer and mounts for 1600 bucks) and Mapex (too much money).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So thanks in advance.

Peace,
T$

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

mind_drummer is on a distinguished road
There's also UDRUM which is canadian and make their own shell (not keller) and EPEK (are canadian too) but they use keller shell... You can benefit of the currency exchange if you're US citizen. I like very much the work of UK based HIGHWOOD DRUMS, they make their awesome shell in house (could be exotic too). I know lot of people swear only on EPIARCH (Jesse does an amazing job though).

I can also recommend you to look at RMV, they are very affordable and their shell are made of bapeva which is a brazilian maple (it's 18% densier and harder than North American maple). You can get a 7 pieces shell pack from indoorstorm for 1199$ usd (an awesome deal for what you get).

Good luck

Old 01-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

-T$- is on a distinguished road
Well, to keep you all informed, I went with the American made Ludwigs. I got 4 shells in the following sizes:

18X22 Virgin Kick
9X12 Rack tom with Vibraband mount and the mount that attaches to a cymbal stand.
12X14 Floor tom with vibraband
14X16 Floor tom with Vibraband
Double tom stand with 10mm posts

I ordered them with mini classic lugs and Elite brackets (10.5mm) on the vibrabands.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the killer part. I ordered them with the Quilted Makore and gloss laquer. Makore is an African Cherry. And with the quilting it is just beautiful. My buddy who owns the store I purchased them from cut me a great deal. 45% off list. So the whole thing came to $2100 with tax. Now I have to wait. Ludwig says about 10 to 12 weeks but he usually gets laquer kits in about 4 to 6 weeks. I will post a pic when they come in.

Peace,
T$

Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
nothing wrong with MSX. tough as nails and sound great too....

Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Cool man, can't wait for the pics!