Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

andisblue_ is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm Corey

Hey everyone. I've always wanted a drum set since I was little, but they were always "too loud" to have in the house. I'm looking to get an electronic drum set. I want the nicest one that I can get for a decent price. I'll consider everything below 1500. So far I've looked at the Roland v-drum sets. Can anyone give me some info on electric drum sets and what sets them apart from others, as well as desired features. Thanks,

Corey

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2007, 05:27 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Hey man, nice to meet you.

The v-drums are like the top-o-the-line sets and if you can get your hands on them, then good for you.

Yamaha do great sets as well and the DTX3 is probably the cheapest, serious kit you can buy.

One way to get to the v-drums without spending a fortune, is to buy one of their sets that includes a v-drum ready module, but has the standard rubber pads. That way you can slowly build up your arsenal while still playing.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 PM

andisblue_ is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking about going with the V-Compact set at $999. A little pricey for me, but I've read good stuff. It seems like it's the lowest end that Roland makes, which is fine since this is my first set. I either wanted the highest end or the lowest end, since I've always thought that anything in the middle could be wasted money. If I play on this for a long time and get really into it, I could start a savings to get the nice set when I get a nice job. I'm sure that'll I'll really be into it. I've been beating/tapping on stuff for my whole life, and I've even played in a band as a keyboard drummer. I do suck at a real set though.

Also , I've heard about this software called BFD. Since the module that comes with the compact v-drums might be a little lacking, should I look into some software like that?? If I did, what'd be the best software to get?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Well I'm not sure what you're going to be doing with the software. Is it just a drum machine, or is it an expansion for the v-drums.

If you're already planning an upgrade, I'd suggest getting the most affordable thing out there to get started on. Just don't buy Legend, they couldn't keep up with my grandma.

Honestly, go to your store, try everything, make sure you're gonna be happy with it.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM

andisblue is on a distinguished road
I ended up getting a Roland V-drum set. I'm so excited! I've been playing it for the past week straight and having a great time. I'm trying to not only have fun, but learn to play well. The metronome feature really comes in handy when I'm trying to stay in rhythm. I'm really bad at using the kick pedal (undeveloped muscle I guess). I'll keep at it and hopefully have something to show later on.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer
The Drummer in a Christian Rock band I belong to (I'm the Bass player) has an electronic set that sounds great. He plays a Yamaha set, His cost a little more than the $1500 range, but I would check out Yamaha. They have different price levels, and Yamaha gear tends to be a little cheaper than Roland and very good quality. I've played his set it's very similar to playing a real set in both sound and feel.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Oops missed the post where you already got the Roland. Roland makes great stuff I'm sure you'll be happy with it, and you can allways add on of upgrade pads, etc. as you go.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:14 AM

andisblue is on a distinguished road
I recorded a little bit of the set. It's pretty crappy playing, but it's about a week's worth of practice.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...08D6B3043A5458

I should have played with a metronome.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:40 PM

The drum set sounds really nice recorded, the playing sounded pretty good to me too.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
have you thought about getting a really cheap acoustic set adding some cheap triggers and a brain.... gives you more options....