Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

DW_fan is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb I want to teach....

Hi gang,

I'm a self-taught drummer with at least 15 years behind me on the kit. I've been considering teaching but I am not really sure how to go about setting up a curriculum for beginners. I'm the type of guy that listens to a song, figures out the part on drums, and then it's stuck in my mind but I'll be damned if I could ever write it out on paper because I do not read drum music (not very well anyway). So, the challenges before me are how to set up a plan (six month, 1 year...yada yada) to work with students. Do those of you who teach use a book that is on the market to teach from or to at least fashion portions of your lessons from?

Also, if any of you who teach would care to share effective ways to teach different concepts, I would love to hear your input. In my current job as a radar field engineer, teaching is a part of my job so I'm not foreign to teaching but I know that teaching drums is a lot different than teaching about military spy radar systems and so I bow to the expertise of you who teach and look forward to hearing your thoughts. Feel free to message me off the boards if you like.

Thanks and have an awesome week!

Mike

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

ekdrummer is on a distinguished road
There are basically three ways to teach
1) from a book
2) from music
3) a combination of both
If you plan on teaching from a book you would probably need to learn to read music. After go to a music store and just look through all their drum books. Pick books for beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels of all styles from marching to rock to jazz, that you think would benefit students most.
If you plan to teach with music start of by teaching the basics (counting, basic beats, etc.) then give easy rock songs, and progress in all styles.
The third one I feel is the best because it prepares the students with the books and gives them experience with music.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
Hey Mike yes you will need to be able to read music. Teaching is about giving your students all the possibilities not one. I know somethings about radar, the concepts and its application. In fact I love radar, especially military spy radar its so exciting. I have been looking at radar for 15 years.I am self taught by the way.... MMMM maybe I should teach Radar...

If you can do this then you might cut it as a drum teacher. If not then practice for a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HMn0qdILQ