Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

UPSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Upstroke

I'm new to this site. It looks very interesting. So, heres a little about me--I've been playing a l-o-o-o-ong time. Started playing at 6. Originally self taught. At 9 I went through every drum book ever written at that time. (they were still carved in stone) first paying gig at 12. By 23 I had opened for every country star that came thru Seattle & had played a year in Mississippi with Lawrence Welks keyboard player. Jazz, (no Bubble machine), also several months in New Orleans playing for strippers. At 24 an old guy (45 yrs old), heard me play & quit a job he had played for 14 years so they would give me his job. (all kinds of shows). People like Dizzy Gillespie, Ray brown, Oscar Peterson, & many many more came to sit in with us almost every night. He also got me the 4 best percussion teachers in Seattle (ALL FREE) He got me everything and wanted NOTHING in return. I was very lucky. At 28 I moved to Portland and did the Susan Raye show from 9 to 1:45 AM for about a year & worked an after hours gig 2 AM to 6AM. I went on the road for ten years and played dozens of different shows through out the West and Nevada. I eventually got a little fed up with some of the super egos & put my own show together. We had a great time for several years. I finally quit the road, got a real day gig in wholesale building materials & played part time. Retired 5 years ago & now I just play music in Idaho. I play whatever comes along & still love it. That's the short version of me.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
So you must be better than me right???.....

Pretty impressive stuff there with the names and all...Dizzy Gillespie, never met anyone who has played with him. That would be a real blast. I am new here too. Though I am what one would call an antagonist. You write well and seem pretty cool. Maybe we can swap stories.... Can you get plexi glass at a reasonable price???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_Gillespie

Last edited by givemethebeat; 02-28-2007 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: ego

Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Hi Mr. G.
I'm not better than anybody. I've never met a drummer that I didn't enjoy
sitting down with & jamming our brains out. Both of us learned a lot every time. AND--as a bonus--We had a great time.
Thank you for digging up the background on Mr. Gillespie. As they say--"He was a hoot". I think he enjoyed his little 8" pocket trumpet more than the one he became so well known for. At any rate, when Dizzy walked into a room, EVERYONE had a good time. You couldn't help it. He was just so full of life. One of my favorite lines of his when asked if he had played trumpet all his life??? His answer---Not yet!!
This place where all the jamming took place with these great players was in downtown Seattle. The gig was from 2 AM to 6 AM. All of the players from the shows that came to Seattle would come in & a lot of the local jazz musicians would come in, relax & listen to our jazz trio. Many of them, we would invite to come up & sit in with us. As I said earlier, A very long list of great players. Incredible time for me. On weekends we did shows of every kind. Magicians, strippers, jugglers, comedians, etc. Great experience for me to play all those kicks & hits behind them.
And-- you need plexiglass for what???? Size???

Last edited by UPSTROKE; 02-28-2007 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTROKE View Post
Hi Mr. G.

And-- you need plexiglass for what???? Size???
The 'better than me comment' was a test.....

plexiglass could be usefull in sound control. Lets say 3" x 3 foot sheets?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
G'day mate. Good to have someone with so much experience at the site.

Look forward to your advice around the forum.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer
Welcome looking forward to your insite, and hopefully a few stories about all those great players you've met and played iwth.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:05 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I've kind of been looking around for a while for a site to meet & talk with other drummers of all ages. This site seems to have a well rounded collection of drummers,ages & personalities. So in reply to your welcome I'd like to say, it's very nice to be here.
Musician stories go on forever & can be funny, frightening, or strange. Over the years we all probably collect a few of all three kinds.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 PM

I am certainly looking forward to sharing stories.....