Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

UPSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Traditional Grip vs Matched Grip

Let's start a fight!!
I mentioned these two grips the other day & the response I got back was that it had not been discussed at any length.
I'll kick it off by giving my opinion. Then all of you tell me what you think. Here goes.
First a history lesson. The Traditional grip came about waay back in the 17th century. The purpose was so that battlefield drummers could march & play at the same time. Reason? The snare drum was at an angle across the drummer & resting on one leg. So the decision was not to raise one hand higher than the other, but to turn the left hand upside down. There really is NO other purpose to play that way.
I started out using the Traditional grip because that was the way that everybody played
I played that way for 30 years. Certainly long enough to form an opinion I think. After all that time I switched to Matched grip. My feeling is that the Traditional grip is not a natural way for your wrist to move. Anybody that plays that way knows that you spend most of your time trying to get the left wrist to work properly. Another major problem is that it dramatically limits your freedom of motion on your entire left side. Just try it. Hold the sticks in a Matched grip & rotate on the drum stool from right to left. Now do the same with a Traditional grip. I feel that it limits your motion.
OK FIRE AWAY---Prove me wrong.]

Last edited by UPSTROKE; 03-06-2007 at 02:42 PM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

lastditch is on a distinguished road
Can't prove you wrong when I agree.I have tried to implement traditional grip off and on for years.Just doesn't work for me on any level.I guess it does work well with brushes.Thats about it.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks for jumping in Lastditch. You are absolutely right about brushes.
I'd forgotten all about them. I also use the traditional grip with brushes.
Maybe I just haven't tried enough to use them in Match grip. Any one else???

Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 AM

mouse is on a distinguished road
My 2c, i learn trad grip in the drum corp (first 7 years of playing) and we had the old slings with the drum on an angle. Marching was hell, with a dented leg and aching shoulder (this was pre the leg rest). After leaving the corp and getting my first drum kit i switched immmediately to matched (because that was what rock drummers were doing, and the jazzies using trad).
Another stint with the drum corp a few years later and the band by then had new metal shoulder carriers for the drums, but still played with trad grip.

Since having experience with both ways, i have tended to rock out on the drum kit with matched grip ,and when it comes to techy rudimental stuff on the snare (mainly rolls ) i habitually switch to trad, as i can execute them better. I am working on rudiments with matched grip and nearly on a par now so if i ever went back to the corp i would try matched.

The important thing is to ensure the stick movement is not restricted at all so the stick is used to it's full potential in all grips. There are a few other variations of grips i believe ... American, French?
The stick needs to be gripped in the same place for good balance to help control the sticks and assist evenness in playing.

I use the stick between the first index finger joint and thumb with a big gap which allows feee movement and not too strong a grip, where many drummers use second finger joint which tends to close up the gap and restrict stick movement, power loss and stress. My wrist is played in the position where it naturally falls as if picking up a cup of coffee. i.e the sticks point angled to the centre of the drum, elbow slightly pushed out. I used to play with the hands turned slightly outward i.e sticks pointed straight ahead, but found this way gives restricts wrist movement and creats tension in the shoulders (not good). I discovered this when re organising my kit ergonomically following health probs (not drummer related).

It is worth the time to check out your grips to see what works best, unless you have been shown a good way by a tutor and you find it works well.
They are all o.k. to use, it's like everything drums, use what is the best for yourself and your situation.
Seen many pro drummers play only trad grip round the drum kit, and they cook.There are no rules.
With a good grip goes good technique and stick control(how you use it).
This one is popular these days
http://www.moellermethod.com/
I found the Dom Famularo book good with a good description of grips.
http://www.domfamularo.com/

Last edited by mouse; 03-08-2007 at 02:12 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Smee is on a distinguished road
Matched grip always..........................

Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

ekdrummer is on a distinguished road
When I began playing I had the choice, naturally being young I chose match. Luckily for me i don't have to learn traditional for marching band because I've tried it and all i can do is the basics. I can barely roll or play sixteenth not triplets while playing traditional. I think match is definatly better for set because of the easy manueverability( i think i made that word up) but I just think traditional looks cooler, weird huh? They have no real other disadvantages than the movement thing. My teacher can do every technique with traditional as he can match so its all about preference I think.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 PM

Traditional grip AND matched grip

The general consensus seems to be that most players that learned the
traditional grip, now use both types in their playing. Younger musicians that did not learn about it seem to not bother to really learn it. I certainly don't know that their really is a right or wrong way. As long as the way you hold the stick & move your wrist is done correctly. Many big name players that I see photo's of are holding the stick with their thumb up on top. They are probably just reaching over to play on a different drum or cymbal. But, it looks like that is how they hold the stick. Unfortunately, many young drummers may get the impression that that is the proper matched grip--NOT. The wrist should be turned over & you should be able to look down & see all of your knuckles.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:13 PM

lastditch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTROKE View Post
The general consensus seems to be that most players that learned the
traditional grip, now use both types in their playing. Younger musicians that did not learn about it seem to not bother to really learn it. I certainly don't know that their really is a right or wrong way. As long as the way you hold the stick & move your wrist is done correctly. Many big name players that I see photo's of are holding the stick with their thumb up on top. They are probably just reaching over to play on a different drum or cymbal. But, it looks like that is how they hold the stick. Unfortunately, many young drummers may get the impression that that is the proper matched grip--NOT. The wrist should be turned over & you should be able to look down & see all of your knuckles.
good point upstroke.with an open matched grip as you describe with your thumbs up top,you are drastically reducing your dexterity.After reading this I fiddled around on my practice pad and it is much more difficult,for me at least,to get a nice ghost note going.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM

Please don't do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastditch View Post
good point upstroke.with an open matched grip as you describe with your thumbs up top,you are drastically reducing your dexterity.After reading this I fiddled around on my practice pad and it is much more difficult,for me at least,to get a nice ghost note going.
I don't actually believe that any of the leading drummers are playing that way.
I think it's just the timing on the photo. Take a look at the picture on the cover of the Hal Leonard book for beginning drummers that includes a cd or dvd. The impression the young unknowing student is going to get in my opinion is to hold the stick with your thumb on top.
A little time with any drummer will tell you-- "That ain't gonna work". But, I see young kids holding the sticks that way all the time.

Last edited by UPSTROKE; 03-18-2007 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-18-2007, 05:28 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
My teacher didn't spend much time on trad or underhand grip. I honestly can't figure out how or why to play like that. The only practical aplication I've seen was a Billy Cobham video which showed him going from overhand, overhand reverse, underhand, underhand reverse in the same beat. It was more of an exercise in dexterity.