Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

UPSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Thisway-n-thatway-n-thisway-n-thatway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
I started with matched grip and I'm now using mostly trad. grip. I found out I was comfy with the movement and it's still very valuable with brushes.

What I do though is working on the movement transition back & forth between match / trad. in the same segment. For jazz, fusion, funk, I like the trad. grip but when it comes to harder stuff then I switch to match. It's funny though because I end up always using trad.
That's pretty much a description of what I end up doing too. When it's all said and done, it just works out very well and is really quite smooth.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 AM

French what?

I'm hearing the term "French Grip" around the forum. Can someone tell me what it is ? I'm getting the impression that it is holding the stick with the thumb up on top of the stick??? If that is true, how would you have any control?
Any pictures, information, web sites with info?? This old geezer would appreciate some information. Thank you everyone.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTROKE View Post
I'm hearing the term "French Grip" around the forum. Can someone tell me what it is ? I'm getting the impression that it is holding the stick with the thumb up on top of the stick??? If that is true, how would you have any control?
Any pictures, information, web sites with info?? This old geezer would appreciate some information. Thank you everyone.
In this thread on wrist curls I had a post on this topic...here you go.

http://www.drumsetconnect.com/forums...ht=french+grip

French grip allows use of the four fingers to control the stick. I use it in my right hand when i'm jazzin. As do most other jazzers.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 AM

Do what-- With What part of my body?????

AvengedDrummer; Thank you for taking the time and effort to get me the info on the French grip. I think I understand what you mean about the way you use your fingers. But I have a couple of questions.
1. I raised my forearms horizontally, with my elbows comfortably at my side
and turned my wrists inward with my thumb on top. I felt immediate strain on all of the muscles in my forearm.
2. I tried to move my wrists up and down vertically. Result= very little wrist movement= not a natural human movement.
Question 1. Do you not use your wrists with this method?
Question 2. You mentioned the finger excercise that makes your fingers burn. That should never happen if your using natural wrist and finger action should it?
Point A. If I just raise my forearms naturally with my wrists pointing down, I have a completely natural wrist movement with absolutely no muscle stress.
Point B. My fingers can now control the stick very well, (even when playing soft or loud), and I have no muscle burn anywhere.
Uh---I guess I'm still kinda confused er somethin'???

Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTROKE View Post
1. I raised my forearms horizontally, with my elbows comfortably at my side
and turned my wrists inward with my thumb on top. I felt immediate strain on all of the muscles in my forearm.
2. I tried to move my wrists up and down vertically. Result= very little wrist movement= not a natural human movement.
Question 1. Do you not use your wrists with this method?
Question 2. You mentioned the finger excercise that makes your fingers burn. That should never happen if your using natural wrist and finger action should it?
Hmm, I never really feel strain when I do it, maybe a picture would help me out? To answer your first question, French grip isnt all that much from the wrists, its more of controlling the rebound with thumb presure to get the desired effect. Also, using your four fingers underneath can accomplish this too. When I play my ride, I use a combination of arm, what little the wrist can do, fingers, and rebound to get what I want. Check out some videos of jazz drummers, most all of them use french in the right hand. To compensate for the lack of wrist movement, everything else does most of the work.
For question 2, It is possible to feel a little burn when using wrist and finger action. If you try to go beyond your limit with your fingers for example, they'd probably tire out quickly. Read up on the gladstone method, its all about utilizing rebound to increase speed, although it is hard to get right, and you usually need a teacher to monitor it.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 PM

Who???

The Gladstone Method?? Is this the same Gladstone as well as the Haskell
W. Harr drum method that I went through in the late 1940's? I know I still have both of those original books around here some place. Been whackin' that membraneaphone too much, just can't see where I left 'em. The old Haskell W. Harr hs a photo of him on the cover that I use to scare kids on Halloween.
Now there's a sour face. At any rate, enough babbling. I will concede your point, that their is such a thing as a French grip. That's just not what I use it for. Being an old Geezer, I guess I'll just stick with what works for me. The signature that I chose is based on the method I use. The down stroke and upstroke are so smooth and relaxing with the Method that I was shown in Seattle. I think old Harr and Gladstone were already in their graves by the early '60's. I really do appreciate your attempt to educate an old Geezer like me.
Thank you for your help.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Drummerjimi is on a distinguished road

Re: Traditional Grip vs Matched Grip

Nicely stated Upstroke. Matched is equal = Good. And to get even better try an ergonomic perfect Grip aid, That's right self promotion time. jimigrips " DRUM STICK GRIPS"
Viewed at
http://www.drumstickgrips.com/
And YouTube
YouTube - drummerjimi's Channel
Couldn't help it! Drum On!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

juan (the ping-pong ref.) is on a distinguished road

I completely agree. I believe matched grip is better than traditional grip.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

ITSATRIPLEPARADIDDLE is on a distinguished road

i personally do not think one grip is better than the other overall. yes matched grip has more uses in overall percussion, for example... I use traditional when i play marching snare, and drum set.. it just doesn't feel right doing those with matched after a while of doing so... however when i play mallets i obviously use matched because traditional would be ridiculous, though i find that after using matched grip for a whole marching season my 4 mallet technique in my left hand got much better (im not sure why, but i experimented with it, and the way my i grip onto the stick is the same grip shape that i have with 4 mallets, except my hand is turned differently), and then for timpani i use french, and german(matched) grip, because again its kinda redundant to use traditional on timpani...

I also dont think music programs should teach traditional until at least the students sophomore year in high school, so that their hands can develop to the level where they can learn a new grip where the hands aren't gripping the same way

Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Thumpthdrum is on a distinguished road

UPSTROKE...I too started out with the traditional grip ( in school ). I now use the matched grip. I feel that the only advantage for that traditional grip is for marching. MD mag had an article some time ago on the pros and cons between these two grips.....the bottom line....all about choice.
Sorry traditional players....but the matched grip is the way to go.