Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Bede is on a distinguished road

Re: Traditional Grip vs Matched Grip

Ok, let me preface my remarks by saying that I don't have a lot of experience as a drummer. I've only been playing for about four months.

I decided to try learning to use traditional grip simply because it was something a bit different, all my various drummer mates play matched grip (been playing bass in bands for many years), so I thought I'd try traditional.

I nearly gave up a few times at first because I was developing callouses where I'd never had them before and it was somewhat painful, but watching footage of drummers like Louis Belson or Steve Gadd convinced me to give it another try.

Recently i have started to be able to relax my hand more while playing; not taking the 'grip' part of 'traditional grip' quite so litereally, and all my rudiment practice is starting to give me a measure of consistancy in the bounce.

I can't really say whether it's better as such, but i do find that I seem to have more dynamic range with the trad grip.

The one thing it really sucks for though is playing rimshots, at which point I usually switch back to matched grip.

/2c

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

mattsmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsdrummerboy21 View Post
I have notice many people saying that traditional grip movement is not a natural way, but how do people open a door? they TWIST the door handle. That is the same freaking movement with traditional grip. So how is not natural when hands can twist in the first place!!!
Exactly!

You see it on forums again and again. Almost 100% of the time, those condemning traditional grip are no good at it. That's nothing but ego...period. Those who are intimidated by something they can't do always want more company.

Truth is, both grips are useful in numerous contexts and both should be worked on for one reason or another. And yes, you can theoretically get away with only one grip, but why limit yourself? Besides, if you watch the highest tier drummers, most don't limit themselves to anything that can be worked on...grips included.

Then here's the part I never understand. For all the time some spend complaining, they could have devoted that time to the practice necessary for this argument to have never existed in the first place.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

seess is on a distinguished road

Re: not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSTROKE View Post
Stndrums; The process that we had started on was just the opening salvo.
The moeller technique and where we left off are miles away yet. It is a very difficult process to explain. It is equally difficult to start out with so many things to be thinking about at the same time. For openers--There is NO multiple bounce at all in the stage we were in, or at any time. That point seems to be very difficult to get across to everyone that attempts to learn this system. It is natural to think the stick is supposed to bounce. After all, isn't that
what we're trying to do?? Answer=NO. It's a long learning process.
I've been working on the moeller technique which I think is what you mentioned above. Bring the stick down while at the same time bringing your wrist up and let it bounce a few times.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

zap98 is on a distinguished road

wow i haven't been on this forum for years...cough

i started playing orthodox a years back, because i desired to follow the tradition of those jazz kit drummers and it was challenging. I spent time getting the feel of that grip, got it and haven't adjusted back to matched. I play a 6-piece kit and have the height and angles of the heads and cymbals positioned so that they are in 'bent-arm-elbow-inwards' reach, which gives me the leverage. I struggle playing match, due to the length of the stick, orthodox cuts the length down e.g. left arm in close proximity snare and hats. But saying that I play orthodox, and its how I adapted.

If I had to play a larger kit, where setup space becomes less, and height is the space to build on e.g. stacking and raising, I would think and say I would adjust back to match, just for that little bit of extension.

Another tip about orthodox, I would say providing i have bent arm inwards form I can hold the stick in orthodox at any fulcrum position (1/3 way up, or at the butt-end), just by adjusting the wrist outward more, palm side orientated inward more, like a 'crab'. IMO, the 'bent-arms-elbow-inwards' form, is vital for effective orthodox grip in kit playing and dynamic (soft bounceback strokes to long power strokes.)

Summary: matched vs orthodox? Its how you adapt, but probably matched given that it gives you that more extension.

Last edited by zap98; 03-19-2012 at 06:23 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede View Post
Ok, let me preface my remarks by saying that I don't have a lot of experience as a drummer. I've only been playing for about four months.

I decided to try learning to use traditional grip simply because it was something a bit different, all my various drummer mates play matched grip (been playing bass in bands for many years), so I thought I'd try traditional.

I nearly gave up a few times at first because I was developing callouses where I'd never had them before and it was somewhat painful, but watching footage of drummers like Louis Belson or Steve Gadd convinced me to give it another try.

Recently i have started to be able to relax my hand more while playing; not taking the 'grip' part of 'traditional grip' quite so litereally, and all my rudiment practice is starting to give me a measure of consistancy in the bounce.

I can't really say whether it's better as such, but i do find that I seem to have more dynamic range with the trad grip.

The one thing it really sucks for though is playing rimshots, at which point I usually switch back to matched grip.

/2c

In my oppinion, it's all about comfort or as the germans would call it Farfignugen. Ergonomics. One of my Idols, Mitch Mitchell switched from traditional to match grip when he seemd it necessray. That's only one example. Comfort is the way to go.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM

J.J. is on a distinguished road

match here.

wish i could play traditional as well because i think it looks very sharp. it's an awesome looking grip to me.

i heard it activates some 38 more muscle groups than match, this is why you hear sissies only complaining about it, cuz it takes work to own it, literally, like tons of repitition before those muscles get hot. but that drumline i used to be in, all the snare guys played traditional and man they owned it with power and force. it's like it's own visual w/out having to do a visual.

i can only do soft little shuffles or basic beats in the traditional grip but i find it tough to get loud and/or really fast. i should work on it more...

Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
match here.

wish i could play traditional as well because i think it looks very sharp. it's an awesome looking grip to me.

i heard it activates some 38 more muscle groups than match, this is why you hear sissies only complaining about it, cuz it takes work to own it, literally, like tons of repitition before those muscles get hot. but that drumline i used to be in, all the snare guys played traditional and man they owned it with power and force. it's like it's own visual w/out having to do a visual.

i can only do soft little shuffles or basic beats in the traditional grip but i find it tough to get loud and/or really fast. i should work on it more...

SISIES? That's like calling some one out on a dare by calling them "Chicken"!

So I dare you to try the best you can with the trditional grip. But remember that there's nothing wrong with playing match grip. Besides, it was when drumming schools came around that so called traditions were established. Before that, all indigenous people played match grip.

Historically speakning, match style is older that trad style.

As long as it sounds good, the audience doesn't really mind at all.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM

J.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
SISIES? ..... Before that, all indigenous people played match grip.

Historically speakning, match style is older that trad style.

As long as it sounds good, the audience doesn't really mind at all.
true true.

one last thing,

SISSSSSIIIIEES!!!!!!

i did mention i'm one of those sissies right?