Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Kailuv is on a distinguished road

:-D

Introduce myself eh?

Well lets see, my name is Shay, I'm 23 (24 in June) and I am very new to drums which is how I stumbled onto this website. I was looking for some forums with other drummers that I could pester and yay I found one

I'm originally a guitarist, but between November and January, my band had gone through 8 different drummers and I got fed up with it, borrowed a set from a friend, and tried it out. So far I think I'm doing pretty decent but I'm still having some troubles here and there

Everything I do has something to do with music in some way. I own a company that does designs and such for bands... merchandise, cd covers, web flyers, things like that.

I guess thats all I can think of for now, hope to talk with some of you sometime about drums.

Ta ta for now!
<3 Shay

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2007, 06:31 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Hi Shay, glad to have you here.

The best advice I can give you as a begginer is get lessons. Even if you're bursting with natural talent, you'll be able to get the hang of this instrument so much faster and more effectively if you get some tutoring.

I understand what you mean about the number of drummers bands go through. Sometimes I question whether lugging around all this expensive equipment is worth it when I could've taken up the flute or something, but then I see just how uncommited some other players are out there and it makes me feel good that I can get up and competently rock that backline like a mofo.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinslapper View Post
Hi Shay, glad to have you here.

The best advice I can give you as a begginer is get lessons. Even if you're bursting with natural talent, you'll be able to get the hang of this instrument so much faster and more effectively if you get some tutoring.

I understand what you mean about the number of drummers bands go through. Sometimes I question whether lugging around all this expensive equipment is worth it when I could've taken up the flute or something, but then I see just how uncommited some other players are out there and it makes me feel good that I can get up and competently rock that backline like a mofo.
Hey shey,Remember The Tuning Biblefor one thing thats just the start, also listen to slin slapper, Even though im younger 4/5 years do listen to the first two things I said, also I played the flute once.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM

Ah lessons... I really would like those. I had taken a few lessons with somoene but unfortunately, my 1 hour lesson was 45 minutes of him talking. There is a place in the town I work that gives lessons, but unfortunately they close at 6pm and I work til 530. Next closest place I've found offering lessons is 45 minutes from my home. I had considered online lessons, but haven't got far with that yet.

As for tuning, I went and bought a drumdial... so far I'm in love with it

Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

STNDRUMS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to STNDRUMS
Ahhh, another Chicago lander like myself. Well.....Suburbs that is. I agree with Skinslapper. You will get a lot better quicker with lessons. I've had the same problem as you did with instructors. I just took the advantage of finding a private teacher and he worked out much better than any other I had. Going to music shops for lessons has always turned out the same way for me. I found my old teacher because he worked at the shop but did private lessons at home. I would have to say find a private teacher and make sure he has a good background in music. What I said doesn't apply for every teacher that works at a shop, but keep in mind most are getting paid hourly and what you pay them.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 PM

Wow, Titus.... small world. Extremely small world. And you don't remember me!! Its funny because I was going to ask Mark for your aim name so i could talk to you about drums, but then I decided to not bother you and just checked here first and wow... thats insane. Ha!

I had talked to someone at Brandolino's in Joliet about lessons, but they either give lessons in Morris or don't fit into my schedule. I know Morris is only 20 miles west, but back to Wilmo will make my trip home 45ish minutes.

Maybe you should give me lessons Tim

Old 05-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

STNDRUMS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to STNDRUMS
Actually, I could probably do that. Haha.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailuv View Post
Wow, Titus.... small world. Extremely small world. And you don't remember me!! Its funny because I was going to ask Mark for your aim name so i could talk to you about drums, but then I decided to not bother you and just checked here first and wow... thats insane. Ha!

I had talked to someone at Brandolino's in Joliet about lessons, but they either give lessons in Morris or don't fit into my schedule. I know Morris is only 20 miles west, but back to Wilmo will make my trip home 45ish minutes.

Maybe you should give me lessons Tim
Hey small world is it my friend gose to collage there C U. and i keep geting calls from Wall greens or something lol. also do know any asian chicks who can Bar tend(text message)?