Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

ken1471 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Re: Anyone else self-taught?

I took 2 years on the snare during 6th and 7th grades for the school band but other then that I've been teaching myself. Had a band for a while 16-22 yrs old then took a few (20yrs) off and started up again with my stepson and a few of his friends. Best way to learn is with a really loud amplifier and your favorite toons!!! Metallica, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden...etc. Like to play anything with a good, hard beat!! Now on my own looking for at least 1 guitarist to mess around with or band looking for drummer. 38, not getting any younger but can still "Hit 'em Hard!" anyone looking for drummer, reply to ken1471

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

chezm is on a distinguished road

Re: Anyone else self-taught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy27 View Post
It's not that hard to figure out. Most of us posting on this tread are self taught plain and simple.
most definitely

by the way, nice to see some fellow Toronto drummers on here

Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

bigstix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezm View Post
most definitely

by the way, nice to see some fellow Toronto drummers on here
Yeah...self taught....with a little help from Bonham, Paice, Powell, Bruford, Peart etc etc!!

Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 AM

superdan is on a distinguished road

I am completely self taught, i used books and video lessons on youtube. I would have liked to have had lessons but i never got round to it, I spent too much time practicing with my band. I think playing gigs and playing with a band is really the best way to learn.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

tenrap76 is on a distinguished road

as a drummer, i am 5 years old and a self taught too. to be an effective in self-teaching, you need to learn drum notation, which is preety easy. after that, there are lots of resources out there-books, videos, websites etc. so far i have learned from 5 books and currently i am refering 3 books during my practice session. learning independently is better once you hone your basic skills because there is flexibily of time and space.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

wolfdrummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenhurst View Post
Just saw the thread about what you look for in a drum instructor and had a thought - I'd be interested to know what sort of education you've all had in terms of drumming, and what you feel its done for your playing alongside listening to drummers, watching drummers and just jamming....

I'll start off by saying that I've never had a lesson in my life, anyone else? I'd like to hear how other untutored drummers feel about their playing too.
no lessons here, been playing since high school(1970) my roll may not be as quick and smooth but i can lock in to a groove good and have played with some great people who said i had a good feel. its not about flash its about keeping time and andding some color and surprises.
Lance

Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

philadrumphonic is on a distinguished road

I was self taught from age 10 to 15, then my jazz band director said that taking lessons would broaden my horizons. Since I didn't have internet back in '98, that was really my only outlet to new things. I took lessons for about a year and the guy told me there wasn't really anything more for him to teach me. So I just needed to go forth and be fruitful in my knowledge. heh. The benefit of taking private lessons is being able to ask questions and learn in your own way instead of just watching, listening, or reading. I've been self taught ever since though.

Funny story about my teacher: My last week of lessons, he told me to just bring a CD I like to play along with and we'd both play along. I brought "Pocket Full of Kryptonite" by The Spin Doctors. He said, "Yeah, I know this one. I was their original drummer. I had to leave the band when they went to L.A. because of my wife and kid. That's when they got signed." So sad. I could have just brought a box of salt to pour on that wound and had the same effect.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Yo Phila, I gave up drumming to get a family established and it was worth every loving moment of it. Eventually I got back to drumming. I got the opportunity to jam with Sly and the Family Stone when I was in Junior High. One of my friends brother was their equipment manager.

Still today I cherish those moments. But drumming back in the days would not put food on the table. I really feel for another mishap, we tried out this bass player when I was in high school. We had to let him go because he could only play soul bass. Two years latter he was playing for Patty LaBell on television. In my high school days, I also had some great moments at Electric Lady Recording Studios before it was completed. I got to meet Jimi and Mitch face to face.

But I still wouldn't change history if I could. I went on to becoming an Electrical Stationary Engineer in a Power Generation Plant with 12 electronics certificates. Six from Ford Motor Company.

My older son is a genius with computer animation and the younger one is now doing his internship with PRG in Audio and Lighting Engineering.

Now that's something I wouldn't trade for in the world. Family first and dreams fade on, memories are forever.

P.S. Check out "My Son's Video" here on the forum.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

secondking is on a distinguished road

I don't know, but I'm pretty self taught, I've watched a couple videos, YouTube Helps a lot, and that's actually how I figured the roll out at first, but I've mostly been just doing what I know and working on the stuff I want to do.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Joe4Prez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Joe4Prez

I am mostly self taught. I got to a point though where I wasn't getting any better and decided that I needed the instruction of someone who had been playing for longer than I'd been alive and had studied a different style than I was used to. I am glad I started off teaching myself but I'm even happier that I decided to get lessons, it made me a stronger more versatile musician.