Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

Been floating round for a while but decided to join & add my two cents on this.
I've been drumming for around 4 years on and off and originally started off teaching myself.
That worked fine for a time until I started becoming increasingly sore while playing and wasn't making any progress.

I decided to take some professional lessons and was lucky enough to find a teacher who had adopted the Moeller method & I'm glad I made the effort.
He is teaching me a technique which allows for fast, smooth and accurate play without fatigue or stress and all the while incorporating dynamics into my playing which is essential these days.
I'm also now able to read music which has opened my playing up even more and has increased my confidence.

Lessons aren't for everyone but finding a good teacher can work wonders for your playing!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2007, 04:22 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Okay, what the frigg is the Moeller technique?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:42 AM

Phoenix is on a distinguished road
A cool hand technique that in what I've learnt so far has a series of different strokes designed to make playng easier and like I said above incorporates dynamics by default I guess..

The strokes I've come across (and there are bound to be more) include the tap stroke, half stroke, full stroke, down stroke and the up stroke.
The idea is to let the stick do the work and by incorporating these different stickings the technique lends itself to cool accents and ease of motion.

I've recently purchased a dvd; Moeller Method Secrets by Mike Michalkow to help as a reference in between lessons and to give me some other ideas for practise etc...

Old 02-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

ekdrummer is on a distinguished road
in addition to what phoenix said the moeller technique is basically a technique that allows you to cut down on hand stress while retaining speed and dynamics. Moeller studied i think revolutionary war drummer's techniques and combined then with modern ones to get his own. You basically make a whipping motion with your arm in order to use it its difficult to explain. I learned it but I find regular technique more relaxing.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 AM

drummerboy27 is on a distinguished road
Hello all, I'm self taught. Oddly enough I've taught a few drum lessons but have never actually taken one my self. When I started I'd listen to the radio and try to play what I heard those drummers playing...hey it worked.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
Drummer boy LOL LOL LOL LOL

Never met a 'self taught' drummer who could cut it. All artists have had at least one mentor at some time. I don't understand the reasoning behind not seeking to learn as much about a craft as one can. Its self defeating and dillusional to think that.

As far as the Web being a great place to find and learn. well yes it is. with a disclaimer.

A good teacher will not be after you hard earned dollars just to pass on a few tips, talk about his or her fantastic career/stories and send you on your way.
A real teacher gets passion from seeing students develop. A real teacher is generally more advanced in ability and technique than students he/she teaches. A real teacher is trusted and a respected source for information to assist a student in seeking the way.

A highly sought after drum teacher is someone that is always in demand and accepts students on referral or audition. If you want to get a good drum teacher to show the ropes be prepared to produce commitment.

It all comes down to ... subject A wants to spend his life as a check out operator and subject B wants to be a jet pilot. A and B both have dreams. A and B both can achieve those dreams. A goes about it in a completely different way to B.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 PM

The numbers on this thread seem to be in favour of those of us who "can't cut it".

Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy27 View Post
The numbers on this thread seem to be in favour of those of us who "can't cut it".
What do you mean by this? curious

Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM

It's not that hard to figure out. Most of us posting on this tread are self taught plain and simple.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

mouse is on a distinguished road
Seen plenty of drummers who can't read of know what a paradidle is, but can groove the socks off any bass player. Plenty that can read, play drum solos blindfolded, but can't keep time. Seen ones that are brilliant but can't get work because of attitude or no business sense etc, etc, etc. no one is perfect, where is the line that says you can "cut it"?

With a lack of tutors in my part of the world, no parental support in my youth, or money to travel and have good gear, iv'e managed to get by i think quite nicely by being self taught. Sure i may have been a more polished and technical drummer with some help and opportunity, but it hasn't been that big a deal, never lost a gig in 27 years because i couldn't lay down a drum beat or groove. At the end of the day i have had a lot of fun playing drums and provided entertainment pleasure to punters from all walks of life, i think if anyone can do that, surely they have - cut it.
Certainly if you have the opportunity to get a tutor by all means go for it, learn as much as you can, a mentor can surely take away some of the struggle by teaching things the right way first off, but then there are no written rules.
It's only in the last few years i have been getting into the host of instructional material that has become available from around the world via the internet, and sites like this where drummers can trade thoughts, tips etc. No question these have helped my playing a lot. A good balance needed i think with drumming, some tutoring, some reading, plenty of listening to all sorts of music, and plenty of playing live, it should be fun no matter what level of playing or ability level you have self taught or not.

Last edited by mouse; 02-25-2007 at 05:01 AM..