Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
'Cut it', can mean the difference between well paid work and low paid work.
Everyone has some excuse, bad family, no money, too far to travel , no tutors, this and that. you say "you may have been a more polished and technical drummer", this is the reason I post stuff. Some people are happy to be average.
Its great that you can play and entertain people and I am sure that you are good at it too.You also offer some good advice.
Everyone has a place in this world and I am certainly not here to put anyone down.
We make our own choices.
We create our own future

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

UPSTROKE is on a distinguished road
I used to go to a lot of drum clinics in the Seattle area. I listened to some awesome drummers like Rod Morgenstein and many others. As part of the clinic, these guys would sit down at their kit & quickly make you feel like throwing your drums away. Maybe be a plumber or a janitor instead. Then one day this drummer came in to do a clinic. I don't remember his name. His big DRUM SOLO consisted of playing single paradiddles around the drum set. My response was-"What's this guy doing here"??? Then he handed out a list of the albums & bands he had recorded with. Two pages, single spaced, with everyone you ever heard of-including MANY tracks with the Rolling Stones. The point is-he couldn't dazzle us with 300 mile an hour BS-BUT-he could play a GOOD, SOLID GROOVE. Not very exciting, but he certainly got most of the recording jobs.
Food for thought when you're in the practice room wondering what to work on next.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer
Like I said earlier I'm predominantly self taught, but I have had some mentoring from drummers that I have played with (I'm predominantly a guitar / Bass player). I do think it is possibly to learn some of the basics, and actually get pretty good without a teacher. I certainly think that a qualified instructor will speed you along, and point out weaknesses that you might never have found on your own. Can you be a good drummer without a teacher YES, can a qualified teacher help you be a better drummer, I definately think so. That is why I plan on taking some formal lessons once my schedule clears, and my finances are in a little better condition.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM

Thank you for the reply "CHURCH DRUMMER".
The biggest problem with self taught drummers has to be the bad habits they develop. Even if you don't work with a teacher, try to find another drummer to at least watch you play a little & correct any mistakes that develop. Once they are ingrained in your mind, they are very hard to get rid of. Be extremely careful of your grip. BUT--MAKE SURE--Who ever is helping you knows what the heck they are talking about.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

mouse is on a distinguished road
That is a valid point, find a qualified tutor. Most drummers that teach where i live are either not at my level yet or have not played out live enough to experience some realities.All very well to know the 26 rudiments off pat but first of a drummer needs to be able to keep a rhythm with other musicians,before applying the rudiments musically.
Had many people ask me to teach them , even looked at the (Drumsense Franchise) but i just don't have the patience or time commitment, would rather be out playing in the band for (self taught) better or worse.
I have a day job and a family to feed

Old 02-28-2007, 05:06 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

STNDRUMS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to STNDRUMS
I took snare lessons for about a year (not counting school) and then took drumset lessons for maybe 2 months, then I decided to take my drumming into my own hands.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
All very well to know the 26 rudiments off pat but first of a drummer needs to be able to keep a rhythm with other musicians,before applying the rudiments musically.
yes and no. Without knowing the rudiments in drums its like not knowing scales in guitar.

With a rudimental basis in place, time keeping will actually develop faster allowing more freedom to groove as confidence builds. Having rudiments nice will give you more time to not have to worry so much about the actual musical time.

Rudiments..... can be very tedious and at times extremely boring. In conjunction with playing with a band to develop better feeling and groove, rudiments will without question make you a better player.

There are certainly no shortcuts with learning to do anything properly. A good tutor/ teacher will greatly assist in the development and may prevent issues from developing.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Agreed Mr. G. Every time Niel Peart or any other drummer hits a drum, he is playing a rudiment. The difference is, they are so ingrained into their head they don't think about it. You are also playing rudiments all the time. Likewise, you just aren't thinking about it. No drummer plays along thinking -paradiddle- paradiddle ratamacue-ruff, single drag, roll. Rudiments just happen when you play. They can be anything but boring . As soon as you see what the sticking pattern is, start moving them around your kit in any way you can think of. That will accomplish two very important things. 1. You will find new ways to move on the set with new patterns. 2. You will push the pattern into your head to a subconscious level where it will become automatic. Try blending some together. Example; a single drag Instead of separate LLRL RRLR. LLRL. Put them together with no break in between. ie; LLRLRRLRLLRLRRLR. Move it around the
kit on drums or cymbals. Try it with 5, 6,7 stroke rolls & on & on & on. It makes learning rudiments fun & interesting.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

lastditch is on a distinguished road
I'm self taught and think that it has benefited my playing.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Interesting answer. How do you feel that being self taught makes what you do on drums different or better than what other drummers do ????