Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

8BeatCharlie is on a distinguished road

Smile Is it OK to play for free?

It sure is fun to play in public once in a while. We've played 4 parties in the last few months in the local pubs, with no money involved other than the bar tab. And our buddies and co-workers in this isolated northern paper mill town are supportive and appreciative.

However, now our front-man has started talking about playing for money so that we can buy a PA system. I don't want to play for money - we all have good paying jobs, and the music is for fun. I prefer to not mix fun and money - I don't need the extra pressure at this point in my life.

I guess there are many questions that arise from this, but the two that are on my mind at the moment are:

Are their many musicians who feel like this?

Do you think it's wrong to play for free, while some other local band, including co-workers and good buddies are charging for their services? Consider that the actors in our very highly regarded Little Theater group don't charge for their services, and even the best golfers in town don't charge you to watch them play golf. These activities are for fun and personal fulfillment.

What do you think?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer
whether or not I play for free depends on the venue. If it is a public concert held by a not for profit, a fundraiser for a worthwhile charity I will play for free. If it is a high profile function attended by a large number of people, and there is a chance you can get some paying jobs by doing it, those types of things I'll play for free. A party in a pub unless it is for someone in the band or one of their imediate family members I wouldn't play for free. They ought to at least collect a couple bucks a head at the door to help with your costs. Playing in a band is expensive, you should be looking to recoup some of the money you put into drum heads, guitar strings, equipment, etc. So as to wether or not I play for free, it depends on the job.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road
Well, you also have to think. The other groups charging, are they playing as many shows? You play for free...iono I'd assume though that the average place if tehy know of you will ask you first considering they'll make a profit...off of you. The bands here play for next to nothing...atleast the ones I know of. Concerts are between $3-10 depending on how many bands/length and each group usually leaves with maybe $20 from what I've heard. I'd play for free unless I was having to drive a decent length to do, but hey you gotta make a sacrifice to accomplish somethin' right.? I'd just ask around at teh different venues and see how they'd respond to paying for you guys...or other groups.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with these guys. But yeah don't complicate things with money. Most shows I play, we walk out with a max $50. That barely covers our fuel to get there, so it's good to get a little something back.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:22 AM

UPSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Free Music????

If you go to a club and play for free when all other bands are getting payed---You just screwed every band that follows you out of a paycheck. It is people like you that have caused all musicians pay to fall into the toilet. I Think that it is just "Marvy" that none of you guys need the money. Most musicians DO need the money. I'm sure that RUSH, THE ROLLING STONES and all the others turn money away and say "We'd rather play for nothing because we love you". RIGHT!!
The band that I'm in does a lot of gigs for nothing. Places like RETIREMENT HOMES, VFW, NURSING HOMES, CHILDRENS HOSPITALS, SENIOR CENTERS.
We also will give a DISCOUNT PRICE for a club managers WEDDING PARTY if he has booked and PAYED us in the past.
We are proud to give our time and talent back to the community that comes out to help support us and other musicians in the area. But when you walk on that stage in a club and do a "Freebie", the manager thinks he no longer needs to pay ANY BAND. If you don't want the money, give it to your favorite charity.
PLEASE DON'T CUT THE PRICE OF MUSIC DOWN TO "0".

Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 AM

Brain?? Huh??

Dear 8beat charlie;
Ijust checked the yellow pages. Your local "RENT-A-CENTER" will rent you a brain by the week for a very small fee. Please feel FREE to check it out;.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 AM

Well, to upstroke. Iono about you but the groups around here love music and that's why they play for near nothing, and yea I mean near nothing, my prvious statement of $20 a show is mere luck for bands TBH. A friends band, last show I know of tehy were paid for they got a whopping $7. They drove to Devils Lake(about 1.5hr drive from here) and almost didn't even get to play. Anotehr band from my town also went and wasn't able to play because some oftheir lyrics...and the booker couldn't have todl them ahead of time Heck, if I were in a group right now I'd be fien playing free shows...in my town. If I have to drive out of town a nice little ways at the least I'd liek something for teh gas used. IMO if teh only way you'll play a gig is for $$ then you gotta get your **** straight. Once you sign a record deal...now that's when you begin asking teh big questions about $$$.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:12 PM

Free Music??? Not Today

SHAZAM;
If you go back and read my message, you will see that I said that we play a lot of free gigs. FOR CHARITY. It is people like 8ball that drive the price down to $3 - $7
Has any one asked about what happened to the Musicians Union? It was destroyed by just this kind of crap. The union used to gaurantee you a nice minimum wage. I think it was around $35 - $40 bucks at the time. BACK IN THE SIXTIES. At that time you could buy a gallon of gas for 30 cents, a burger for 25 cents, Ludwigs Super Sensetive Snare for about $125. The best part was, most musicians wouldn't get paid $35 for a gig. THEY GOT MORE THAN THAT. The
going rate for a 3 pc band on the road was $600 per week plus free rooms and
free meal. We rarely took a job that only paid $600. We got MORE than that.
Then along came you price cutters. Standing in line because you couldn't get a job. Waving your hands in the air, yelling that you would do the job for $5 less than the guy in front of you. Pretty soon the only protection for decent wages disappeared. Did you know that people like Miles Davis used to have to PAY TO PLAY in clubs in LA? All of us musicians really owe you price cutters a lot.
Thanks ever so much for taking the money that we used to depend on to make a living away from us. When you offer to work for zilch, it tells the club owner that is all you re worth.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Free Music=fame?

Why does every young musician think there is arecord deal just around the corner if they work for free? Record Deal: An extremely rare event in the lives of less than 1% of musicians lives. ONLY achieved by musicians that KNOW their instrument, KNOW how to entertain people, KNOW how to dress, KNOW how to WORK an audience, ( not just follow a stupid "song list"), KNOW how to play a show, (not just stand around B.S.'ing on the stage while the guitar player tunes for twenty minutes, even tho he has an electronic tuner. There is a difference between music and the music business.

If you want to play for free, great, go play in the park. Play for your friends at private parties in their home, play in your garage, play for childrens hospitals, Veterans of Foriegn Wars, Senior Centers, Nursing homes. Those people desperately NEED you to show up there. Those people, more than anybody DESERVE to hear good music. Throw a party for Soldiers returning from Iraq. They would love you to do that for them. What nicer thing can you do as a musician??

Good music money is out there. LEARN your instrument and you will EARN your wages.
My little duo just played a gig last Saturday night from 6:30 PM to 9:30 Pm for $125 each. We never do a job of two hours or less for under $50 each. The money is there --find it.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 PM

I'm just sayin, you play for free, well more places would/should know about you fster considering you should be...good.... which woul dmean more gigs which in turn equals more publicity if peole like you. And also for reference again. A local band that was...Five Star Fracture... last christmas tiem went on a tour through teh mid westish/ ND, MN, and Iowo or Indiana. Came out with like $50 or somethin lol Out of liek 50 shows.