Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

semeon is on a distinguished road

Smile Drummer's Anxiety

Hello to everyone. I am posting because I would like ideas on "drummer's anxiety" or "one's personal insecurities about drumming style and technique". When I feel insecure about my technique/style, I purchase DVD's and books on the subject. When I was a teen, I played drums in a rock and roll band. After four years of playing, the band broke up. Then I stopped playing the drums. Thirty years later, at age 54, I am playing drums again. Over the many years I have always had the interest to play drums, but rarely acted on it. Now, I am passionate about playing and learning. I would welcome all thoughts on the subject of this posting. I want to overcome my "insecurity/anxiety" and improve my technique and style of playing so I can drum with confidence. I love drumming hence the reason for joining "Drum Forum". Thank you for your input!

Semeon

Last edited by semeon; 08-02-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

Now I don't much about drummers anxiety per-say, but I've had experience general anxiety, so I might have some advice for ya.

I probably don't need to tell you that the more frustrated you get at doing something the harder it gets, right.

So, if you find yourself getting bogged down with technique and rudiments, then take a break and reconnect with your joy of the kit. When I want to have a truly enjoyable drumming experience is pick a new song that's in my skill range (or slightly above) and get just thrash it out until I get it right. Don't worry about technique at first, just really get into the groove of it and add my own flair.

This helps me to learn new beats, fills, structures and so on, at my own pace and you don't have to sweat about what the metronome's doing the whole time.

Buy all means, keep doing your stick work and get those fingers loosened, but remember, you do this have fun.

Good luck bro and let us know how you get on.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

SaxMachine is on a distinguished road

Re: Drummer's Anxiety

Wait what? I am confused.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

rt55 is on a distinguished road

Well how about that. The first time reading posts after registering, and I come upon a guy that's in my own age group. Didn't expect that. First off, congratulations on getting back on the horse. Like any real skill, things that you did before will come back to you, like riding a bike...a very complex bike that requires the independent use of all four limbs combined with an involved thought process and adjusting your brainwaves to achieve alpha-state. Don't worry about being worried...just relax as best you can, and play what you know to the best of your ability. Play simple, play solid, and add to your drumming vocabulary when you become comfortable with the phrases you know. Play with other people. Find other guys your/my age who want to get back into making music and invite them in to play. Play a lot of blues. Have fun. Focus on being solid, not impressing them with your chops, and they will want to come back and play some more. That will build your self-confidence, and give you the nerve to try other styles, while putting those rusty old chops back into shape.

Hope it all goes well.

RT55

Old 09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road

self-confidence is key, i like your views in that way and im glad you joined.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Church Drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Church Drummer

The more I play and prepare the less anxiety I have about playing. The key is to have fun with it. Playing with other musicians is a great way to build up confidence. Have any keyboard Guitar or bass playing friends that might want to get together for some informal jam time? If not just put on some of you favorite CDs and have fun playing along. It isn't all about technique (although technique is important)!!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road

I say connect with your drums(ironic) feel the feelings that they pass into you, like yoga(but mind body and drum connections).thats how i drum out my stress.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

semeon is on a distinguished road

Hello RT55,

I want to thank you for replying to my post. I read and will re-read what you typed so your thoughts will sink in. I liked what you said. I also want to congratulate you on your return to drumming and to this drum forum. I want to wish you the best with your drumming experience. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am very happy to have returned to drumming. Like others, I want to learn more about "how to" and enjoy playing. Hope your experience goes well too....... Semeon

Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys, It is good to read all your excellent advice about the drummers Anxiety.
I have been in the same boat a bit, it seems (in my case) that even a couple of months without drumming or practicing gets me a litlle "nervy"
I found that catching-up with old music pals, have a chat and a couple of libations with them and see to get the old jam somewhere, or even better a gig, seem to get me on the right "track".
Now I know that sometimes it is not easy to get going again without having some speed wobbles.
I found a good cure in watching DVD's or go to a good concert ( My last Concert I went to was here in Auckland NZ this autum when Bonny Raitt was here with the Jon Cleary Band AWSOME!!!) to get really motivated and then try to put it to purpose.

My good old drum teacher, told me always to take it easy and keep it simple (just play the basics well) when you are out there after not having played for a while, and also to really become anal about setting up the kit, and get the sound right, it will improve your confidence!!

Also see that you get to play a song (first up) that you really like and that you had no trouble with playing before.
Sometimes that song is not on the "bracket" list, but I found when you ask nicely (the lead guitarist and /or singer will always object) and with some urgency the band will actually let you, and after that make forever jokes about your song choice.

Hey, I did some concerts with a big (harmony) band for charity when I was still living in the Netherlands, and I even managed to get nervous when I had to play a fund-raiser for an elderly home!!
Well that proved to be rightfully so when an old geezer (80+) who had been eyeballing me for at least half of our performance told me after the show that I had been drumming like a *****!!
He told me he had been a marching drummer in an army band, and that my rolls were crap!!

So here you go, at our age we should not really be nervy about anything, too late for that now, but apparently that's not the way it works.
For me, every day feels different, but I am always a touch nervous when I start the opening song.

Cheers, keep up the good work, Harry

Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

rt55 is on a distinguished road

Referring back to the old guy that bagged on you...It has been written that drummers will always judge you by the quality of your rolls! So make sure that you spend some time on the practice pad (and the pillow, if you're just learning to "dig out" a double). BTW, you should have had him give you a lesson. Could have been fun! Might have gotten a couple of pretty good stories out of him as well.

RT55