Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Re: Drummer's Anxiety

Ha,ha, rt 55, what a good reply!

You see, that would have to be the right thing to do, to ask the old geezer for advice!!
I noticed on your personal profile that we both like Steve Gadd and Max Roach!!
Is this just a matter of our generation, or are there also younger drummers out there who think they are (were) cool.
I went to see Max Roach in the late 6teaze, I think he was in the same program as the saxophonist (x2) Roland Kirk but I am not so sure now.
I have actually an Iron memory (bar some corrosion problems), but because I was sooooh active in the 6teaze I do not seem to have much of a recollection!

Anyway, I enjoyed your reply.

Cheers, Harry

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road

how manny saxiphones could kirk play at once?2!?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 AM

Hi Guss, yes indeed he played two at the same time !!, also sometimes he was singing through his mouth piece, which provoked a jet/vacuum cleaner sound.

I can't remember clearly but I think one of them was a soprano sax, I play a little bit of sax myself and I know you can play ( in the mid region around the G) with one hand.

Coming back to our anxiety thread (my fault for digressing) those guys never showed a lot of that, but they were living the music to the absolute max, most of us have to mix it in with another job, family (rightfully) obligations etc.

I guess to be on the world stage comes with sacrifices, but man what glorious times they had (have) performing.
For me, the humble drummer, it only matters that I put a smile on the faces of the band, and more to the point the audience.
I always get a bit of "goose bumps" when the audience get up to dance, i am really happy then!!!

Cheers, Harry

Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

rochona is on a distinguished road

Anxiety is really common. Probably more than most admit. The greatest fear is failure and
rejection by others. It can really overwhelming and has overwhelmed me. My teacher,Garey
Williams had me read " The inner game of Tennis " It is a book about performance anxiety
from a tennis perspective but can be applied to any performance.Check it out.
I know we can't play well if we don't relax. Hope this help.
I was ask to play at my church after not playing for 18 years. I'm 46 learning more, taking lessons. Don't forge to have fun.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road

Never too old to take lessons or play drums all together.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

rt55 is on a distinguished road

Inner Game of Drumming! The tennis book is great. I have discussed it with many drummers over the years, and everyone has the same opinion. Spent lots of time visualizing doing it right!

RT55

Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

slingerland is on a distinguished road

Hi Harry I'm Slingerland and I know how you feel the only difference is I'm 56 yrs.old. If you want to improve your technique and sort of get back you can't go back so forget that, but you can learn new things.One thing that I'm finding out is that if you go to youtube.com and put in drum technique you will do alot of catching up ,it will take some time but you will eventually be where you want to be and you'll save alot on CD's and all the books that teach you what you already know, I'm in the same spot as you, and believe me this method will make you feel real good and get a jump on the kids of today. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

slingerland is on a distinguished road

To Semeon I Wrote To Harry About His Problem This Is A Good Idea For You As Well
My Handle Is Slingerland This Advice Is Excellent For You Read What I Wrote Him.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 AM

Talking Re: Drummer's Anxiety

Hi Slingerland,

I am so glad this thread came alive again!!
I remember the Slingerland kits back in Amsterdam in the sixties/seventies; every self respected Jazz drummer (rightfully so) tried to have one.
Do you have a Slingerland kit yourself?

Thank you also for your good advice, in the meantime I have been doing just that, a great help!!
Also, I am practising on a Dr. John CD, with invigorating Blues/Fusion, what a good work out!
It is quite funky, I style that really suits me. (I think)

Also, I started a new band called Tonik, (like life/elixer) which is soohh refreshing, we play all kind of music, basically in the "ladida $$$" circuit, meaning private parties , pool parties, weddings, restaurants etc.
My rolls have improved immensly from the moment I relaxed about them!!
Also I am "sitting in" a rock band now and then who are telling me not to be so "frivolous" and just stick to a straight and tight groove. (The nerve!!!!)

All in all I am having a ball, and to top it off I am going to a clinic of Simon Phillips!! within two weeks.
I do not know if you ever have seen him performing, but man is he something special!!
He is my drum-hero and I have seen him with TOTO in the beginning of this year here in Auckland NZ.

So the anxiety is pushed (a bit) to the background, there is more fun to be had at the moment, for which I am grateful.

Slingerland, thank you for your kind words;

Cheers and Happy Drumming,

Harry

Old 07-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Thunderfoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by semeon View Post

Hello to everyone. I am posting because I would like ideas on "drummer's anxiety" or "one's personal insecurities about drumming style and technique". When I feel insecure about my technique/style, I purchase DVD's and books on the subject. When I was a teen, I played drums in a rock and roll band. After four years of playing, the band broke up. Then I stopped playing the drums. Thirty years later, at age 54, I am playing drums again. Over the many years I have always had the interest to play drums, but rarely acted on it. Now, I am passionate about playing and learning. I would welcome all thoughts on the subject of this posting. I want to overcome my "insecurity/anxiety" and improve my technique and style of playing so I can drum with confidence. I love drumming hence the reason for joining "Drum Forum". Thank you for your input!

Semeon
Hi there,
I am 36 and live in the UK. I find I am more passionate about improving my drumming, now more than ever. You need to identify your own style, within a good framework of posture and technique. Be relaxed. This is the hardest and yet simplest task all at the same time. I know that I have my own style and that when I teach others I cannot help but sjow them things that helped be 'progress' But also I have been influenced greatly by John Bonham , Ian Paice, Stewart Copeland etc...But not just drummers, guitarists and musicians generally can shape your own drumming style. The trick is to be yourself and also to also be creative and come up with new 'beats', grooves and ways to practice that are not boring. My advice is to not be a perfectionist all the time, just at crucial moments // when recording especially, but even then the vibe and ambient drum sound can be more important than impeccable Changes and tempos....I am straying now from your original idea. Watch keith Moon and then Steve Gadd and then decide where you fit?!
All the best!