Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Pearlownz is on a distinguished road

Need Help w/ Chad smith snare tuning!!!!!!!

k il start w/ the chad smith snare. i recently bought an evans st dry for it, and tuned it up. i like tuning my snares up really high, but this head wont stay put, it wont stay in tune. i dunno if im being ignorant or not, but do the threads screw back out if they come outta tune? someone told me that, sounds a bit dumb to me. or is the head faulty?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

mouse is on a distinguished road

Re: Need Help w/ Chad smith snare tuning!!!!!!!

If a tension screw loosens because of high tuning, the drum will lose tune.

To demonstrate how much, use a drum that is evenly tuned all around. Now with a key turn one tension screw slowly as you tap the drum. You will find very little will change the tuneing. This is a handy thing to do when tuning toms for a different tone.

The screws loosening is a common problem. With corp snares we often had that problem as well as striped threads and head breakages, and these are real high tension heads.

Best fix is a set of Lug Lock alloy screw ring retainers. You can get plastic ones but the alloy ones are there for good, money well spent.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

EphICanIMite is on a distinguished road

Did you try seating the new head by pushing down in the center of the head lightly with the open palm of your hand? Set the drum on a pillow or other support so you wont damage the snares. I've found if you dont seat the heads in this way (applies to snare and tom heads), they will stretch out and detune as you play them. Just a suggestion. Also, if you can spare the cash... invest in a book called "drumset tuning theory" by Tony R. Adams. Was the best money I've ever spent related to drums. Saved me countless hours spent tuning and much aggrivation to boot.

Eric

Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

zildian999 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zildian999

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphICanIMite View Post
Did you try seating the new head by pushing down in the center of the head lightly with the open palm of your hand? Set the drum on a pillow or other support so you wont damage the snares. I've found if you dont seat the heads in this way (applies to snare and tom heads), they will stretch out and detune as you play them. Just a suggestion. Also, if you can spare the cash... invest in a book called "drumset tuning theory" by Tony R. Adams. Was the best money I've ever spent related to drums. Saved me countless hours spent tuning and much aggrivation to boot.
I agree with EphIcanIMite. You need to seat the new head before you can truly tune it. I had the same problem with my ddrum set. The tom heads always lowered after one song, so I decided to take them to my friend to see if he could figure out what was going on. He told me I should seat them, and maybe try to find some of those plastic rings that keep the lug from loosening. I use those and my drums seem to never untune themselves.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Thread Closed

Closed Thread