Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Death is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Death

Re: 4 piece drum set.

Hey dude, check out the drummer from Battles.

His kit consists of Floor tom, Bass, Snare, hi-hats, tom and super high crash cymbal.

and he is an absolutely amazing drummer.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Interesting sound those guys have. He does make that 4 piece sound good which just goes to show what you can do with less.

On a side note, he has a nice kit too: Tama Superstar Custom Hyper-Drive for sure in maybe a "Dark Desert Burst" finish.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Beaver Swinimer is on a distinguished road

Less is more dude, if you know what I mean.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

DPTrainor is on a distinguished road

As others have said. A 4 piece set cannot prevent you from becoming a better drummer. If fact, I am another one from the "less is more" camp. The mistake that a lot of beginners (and pros) make is to think too much about equipment and not enough about chops. The other night, I have the privilege to see a band where the drummer had a 3 piece set (bass, snare and tom) with high-hat, crash and ride (that looks pretty beat. It was an old set with chips, cracks and scratches - stands did look like they would literally fall over. The bass drum was leaning a bit. It was kind of funny. Prior to the show, I was kind of wondering what to expect from his playing. This was mostly 70s type rock and roll - mostly covers, but some originals. To my surprise and delight, he was one of the most talented drummers I have seen in several years. His groove was sooooo in the the pocket, it would send shivers down your spine. Whether ahead, on and behind the beat. His timing was right on, even through tempo changes. Solid and very musical. His dynamics were awe-inspiring - from soft to loud right where it needed to be. His fill patterns and orchestrations (despite have only 3 drums) was creative. He was clearly the foundation of this band, yet complimented the other musicians by listening and giving them space. I tell this story as just another data point. 3 pieces did not seem to hold him back at the least.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

i think that having less drums helps you get better, especially if you are used to playing with a lot of drums. i usually play a 7 pc, but right now that set is at my guitarists house. so im playing on a 4 pc that i have (my first drumset, cost $50 haha) and from playing this set, and not having as many options, i have noticed a huge increase in my creativity. i havent played my 7 pc for about a month now. ill be glad to get it back, but im glad i didnt have it for a while

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Down sized from a seven to a four,the drummer I bought it from was in a hardcore, a rock, a punk, (pop punk, guitar though) a metalcore band, and a deathcore band all at once except the metalcore, so 5 different bands just counting for drumming!

The point is... (four out of 5 used my drum kit) Im improving faster then when I had the 7... Confidence is the key to improving!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

docROCKER is on a distinguished road

im sure it is not limiting anything, but i have a 5 piece and want more add ons to do more stuff

Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

Do a YouTube search for Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Steve Jordan, Joey Baron...there are so many I'm not naming. Portnoy even played a 4-piece for a Beatles tribute band. David Garibaldi made all those Tower of Power records (the early ones - with the hits) with a small 4-piece. Steve Smith absolutely kills with a Sonor jungle kit 4-piece. Once you see what the masters can do with 4 drums, you'll probably start asking yourself why do you need more?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Yep, but have you ever seen any of those guys on a kit more than 5 pieces or so? It would be cool to put Buddy Rich behind Mike Portnoy's kit, or Bozzio's kit, and see him play. I don't think I will ever have more than 7 drums in my kit. I love 4 pcs and I like 6 pcs 2 up 2 down. I like 5 pcs in any way, but I think I will always be partial to 4 pcs and 5 with 1 up 2 down. If I ever feel the need to have more than 6 or 7 drums, it will be because I have nothing else to do with my money, which probably won't be ever. The "masters" as you said, played relatively small kits. This was because they didn't feel the need to have bigger kits. They were all amazing drummers and were probably pretty secure in their abilities. I would bet that most of the drummers who have large kits are less skilled than the ones who have smaller kits. I think having a big kit is sort of a compensation (not all the time!!!). If you have a lot of drums, you don't have to rely as much on ability to impress people. Drummers who lack experience are very impressionable towards those they watch and see things differently than those who are more experienced. Drummers who lack experience = everybody who hasn't played drums or is a beginner. Anybody who doesn't possess the knowledge of a seasoned (at least somewhat) drummer, is easily impressed by huge drumsets.

Look at Tama. Tama has probably the best scam towards beginning drummers. The Tama Rockstar kit can be bought at 800 some dollars. It is an 8 piece kit! That is like $100 a drum! Not quality at all. Not bad for a beginner, but not quality. Tama has realized that making a cheap kit and selling it in a large configuration will make them alot of money because inexperienced buyers will have the thought somewhere along the lines of "Having a big kit will make me good at drums!"

No, it won't, we all know that, but the people who watch us don't. If all else fails, anybody can sit behind a big drumset and look cool, get their picture taken, and to most viewers, look as though they are very good at drums. Granted, most people who actually make it in the music industry with big kits actually know how to use them decently to a certain degree, but a good handful of them don't use their monstrous set of cans as well as should be warranted for having so many shells. Dave Lombardo comes to mind... He has quite a large kit and he does use all of it, but does he use it in the same way Thomas Lang uses his? No. Do most beginning drummers think Dave is a better drummer than Lang? Yes. Why? In this case I would say because Dave has more exposure in the popular music world... Sorry, bad example.

Hmmm... Ok, Do most beginning drummers see Joey Jordison as a better drummer than Danny Carey? Yes, because Joey has a bigger kit. He also plays quicker rolls and double bass patterns, but would many drummers worship him the way they do if he played it all on a 4 piece set? Probably not. Becoming a famous drummer is an art. Becoming a famous drummer who will be remembered is a more difficult art. To become famous, the easiest way is to get lucky being in a band making music that is simple and catchy. To become famous as a drummer in that band, you either have to appeal to your listeners by appearance or by sound. If you lack sound, compensate with appearance. Can't understand the difference between a dotted eighth note and a triplet? (wow) Add another bass drum, nobody will notice, it will make you look better.

Drummers who are remembered usually have small kits, but know how to use them. They don't feel the need to use a bigger kit because they appeal to listeners with sound and skill rather than appearance. They don't need 3 bass drums to look awesome. Lets wait another 30-40 years and then take a poll to see who has more respect from the drumming community, Buddy Rich or Joey Jordison?

Sorry for any redundancy in the text above..............

Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I have to close this thread. It has become a spam magnet.

Closed Thread