Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

cronjob is on a distinguished road

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute

Hello there,

Im new to this forum as you all can see. But recently ive become very nerdy about drum kits and after about 8 years of talking about it i finally went ahead and just ordered it.
I was told i had to wait for 6 months to get it but it turns out it will arrive on monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SWEEEET!
Just a 4 piece, 10, 12, 14 inch toms. 20 inch bass drum. in a vintage natural finish. im so anxious to get my mits on them.

So anyway, ive never played a high end yamaha kit before(apart from the stage custom, which i though was a really nice kit btw) and i basically ordered it because all my favorite drummer like... ever, play them. (Dave wreckl, Peter Erskine, KEITH CARLOCK!) And also because i know they sound great and all aeveryone has to say about them is great stuff.

Anyway, im ranting! Anybody out there play them? What do you think? Any good? any pics?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

chungiemunchin is on a distinguished road

Re: Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute

I too am waiting for my set of Yamaha Absolute Maple Customs only mine are in stock at the music store. I opted for a 3 month layaway plan at the end of which, I will own them outright.
I too opted for the vintage natural finish just like the ones in your picture. Antonio Sanchez was my first inspiration to purchase this set however, since making the decision, I found out that Dafnis Prieto plays them as well. Both are incredibly fine musicians and I am hoping to play as well as them once I get my set (heh-heh.....just kidding.....I meant, as good as them after I practice another ten years....which we all know goes by quickly!)

Can't friggin wait! Oh, I also just ordered the Peter Erskine-John Abercrombie-John Pattituci live DVD on which Peter plays a set. I want to hear just how great they can sound for when I get my set, I expect to spend sometime in my music room, just working with the tuning and sound. Playing is a process and I am embracing (yes, even savoring) every moment and benchmark I surpass on the way to getting out and playing with some of my fellow musicians in the area. I am a musician world!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

2bsticks is on a distinguished road

I play three Yamaha drum kits. The Absolutes are one of those kits. My absolutes are as follows. Bass is maple, 10" tom is birch, 13" to m is beech and my 16" tom is birch. I am using the stock reso heads. On the batters I switch between the Remo coated Ambassador and Remo clear Emperors. Both these heads sound great IMHO on these drums. I tune the toms to notes. My 10" tom Is a C, MY 13" tom is a G and my 16" tom is a C (octave lower) I tune the reso heads the same unless I am getting too much ring in a certain room. If that happens I bring the reso heads up a minor third and the drums have a nice punch.

I also play the Oak Customs in fusion sizes. Great drums, love the Oaks.

My 3rd kit is an older Yamaha Club Custom kit made of birch / mahogany also a great sounding kit. You can't go wrong with Yamaha.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

drummerboypbc is on a distinguished road

I own a yamaha beech custom set, which I love. But a few weeks ago, I got to play a set of Maple Customs and it was a spectacular kit. The toms weren't very well tuned, but even so (it was at a music festival and VW was trying to get random people to play with each other) , they had a really good sound. If I'd been able to, I probably would've tried to sneak them home under my shirt. Shame drums are so big.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

jhilldrums is on a distinguished road

I have Stage Customs and love them for what I do. I have owned Recording Customs and they are my favorites. You won't be disappointed in pretty much anything they make at this end. I've played 4 other brands and the Yamaha's are by far my favorite manufacturer. Good quality, craftsmanship and finishes are like furniture! Proce is pretty good too.

2B, are the oaks as loud as they say they are? I have not played them.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

FastHand is on a distinguished road

They're great kits. My friend has a Stage Custom and they're great. I've plyed many Absolutes over the years and they're even more fantastic than the stage customs. Extremely musical kits. Great buy.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 AM

badassbilly is on a distinguished road

ok new to this forum wanted to post this. this will go down as one for the drummers. ran into this guitar player the other day. met him once at a jam he mentioned he had a studio with a nice kit . had to sell it because he was being sued asked me if i would like to take a look. said it was a yamaha kit. i figured ok. walked in the studio there sitting in the drum room was a yamaha maplae custom absolute drum kit. sizes 8,10,12,13,15 and a 22 bass drum. imacculate condition except for a cracked front bass drum hoop. everything else was ok. he said the crack happened when they were changing the head and when he took off the hoop and set it aside his son stepped on it. ok no biggie i'll order a new one. here is the kit look at the kit and then i will tell you the great part of this story

dw snare did not come with the kit but the best part of all this....this kit cost me exactly $950.00...no kidding. i will never diss another guitar player as long as i live.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

slingerland is on a distinguished road

You got real lucky they sound excellent and you won't be sorry I know this kit well ,and they sound great, you may have to spend some time tuning them. I find that with a higher end kit you may want to change heads depending on the type of music you play. I've been playing over 40 years if you need any help or advice don't hesitate. I'm known as SLINGERLAND

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 AM

badassbilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland View Post
You got real lucky they sound excellent and you won't be sorry I know this kit well ,and they sound great, you may have to spend some time tuning them. I find that with a higher end kit you may want to change heads depending on the type of music you play. I've been playing over 40 years if you need any help or advice don't hesitate. I'm known as SLINGERLAND

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!
thank you slingerland. i appreciate the offer and will take you up on that....billy