Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Cymbals

Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

meany-the-destroyer is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up paiste cymbals? help!!

Hi im currently looking to upgrade my cymbals was making do with cheaper ones for rehearsing but now were gigging i decided to up grade i have 2 x 18" paiste 602 crashes which i will never part with but i love them for recording but dont like to gig them too often although they do sound awesome. i have a 22" dimensions deep full ride which works and sounds great with the 602,s i bought a bronze 16" crash from rockem music there own branded cymbals it cost me 22 quid and i had a b8 16" sab and the rockem pissed all over it i was very suprised anyone wanting cheap cyms get on their site you can barter a bit and they are miles better than the crap brass ones the younger lads can afford and they really cut through better too. but anyway i know most mid to top paiste mix quite well together but has anyone experienced the pst5 ,s ? crashes that is? i cant really afford to go mad on 2002,s at the mo and the pst5,s seem decent value but havent been able to get to a store to see what they are like and its sods law you get them home get them on the stands and they sound like a cat pissing on a dustbin lid, so my fate is in you guy,s hands any advice would be greatly recieved cheers !!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road

Re: paiste cymbals? help!!

Ever heard of Paiste Alpha?(i have tryed the hats and want to try more). is paiste the only company you can easly get?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM

hi yeah i heard of alphas my mate used to use them a while ago they were quite good little crashes i would have said better for in the studio though , i used sabian years ago but im in a origional band thats a cross between motorhead and the pistols and i like a really raw live sound and the paiste,s do this brilliantly they project really well so imm keen to stick with the sound i like but always willing to try new combinations what do you use?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Level 17 - Double Paradiddle

guss is on a distinguished road

Sabian is cheaper, and can be better if your a hard hitter, like most of todays metal players today. could you try Wuhan, they can be raw. maybe skin slapper could help(i just play and buy cymbals, I can't give you expert advice on this problem)

Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

juan (the ping-pong ref.) is on a distinguished road

well i have a paiste pst ride, and it sounds great, but i dont know about the crashes. i hope that helped.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 AM

Hi mate its been a while since i made the post and since i completed my set up , i have a 22" paiste sound creation ride which sounds wicked an 18" paiste 602 crash ride a 16" paiste 602 crash a paiste 3000 16" china a pst5 18" crash and 15" paiste rude sound edges which are awesome so glad i went with paiste i just love the fullness of the sound and the vintage 602s sound really cool and in the studio they own it !

Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

enrique is on a distinguished road

Hey how much did you pay for your paiste 15" I found one on it's at 114 is that a good buy but they are used? ?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

jhilldrums is on a distinguished road

I have the following on my kit;

14" Alpha sound edge. LOVE EM.
16" 802 crash LOVE IT
18" PST 5 Crash ride (I use it as a crash) It's OK, does it's job.
17" 2002 LOVE IT more than my dog.....just kiddng buddy......
20" 502 Ride Does it's job, ring is too sustained, I like a ping.
16" 502 Crash OK
16"China (wuhan, not a real cymbal)
10 splash (wuhan, not ....................).

If you can find 802's or Alpha's, they are the same alloy as 2002's, from what I have read. I upgraded a bunch of stuff recently by selling a Zildjian splash and ZBT crash. I have a few quid in the wallet so I sold what I didn't want (thakns ebay) as trades at stores are a crime.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM

mag is on a distinguished road

Were I'm from, in our small circlre we thought that if you didn't have Zildjians, you didn't have anything. As I've grown a little wiser in deciding what sound I'm wanting, I discovered that name brand doesn't mean a thing. I love quality, but it has to be based on my dollar. I have Paiste 502 14" crash, 18" ride 14" hats mixed with Sabian AAX Explosian 14" cash which work well as a nice sounding splash; a Sabian XS20 18" ride. For the music I play (urban tradition gospel) and the combination of sound I look for in my budget range, these are perfect. Again, my point is what might sound good to one person might not be the sound you are looking for. Get out there and find what work for your ears.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM

KevinBombson is on a distinguished road

Paiste Alpha and Alpha Metal (slightly heavier) is a fantastic *affordable* option. If you like heavier cymbals check out the Zildjian Z3's which replaced Z customs. Back when Z Customs came out I used them exclusively (other than my hihats which were A Customs) and loved them to death (until they stopped making them and I inevitably broke all of them ). The Z3's might seem a little obtrusive sounding when you try them out in a shop or whatever, but once you get them in a live setting and mixed in with the other instruments (especially for hard rock, alt, or metal) you'll pretty much fall in love.