Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

drumpy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to drumpy

Tama Superstar Custom Scarlet Fade

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am new to the site and I am looking forward in sharing info.

I need some info regarding the Tam Superstar Custom, in the Custom Scarlet fade finish. I know the kit is exactly as the other Superstar customs, with regards to the wood and hardware, but . . .

What I want to know is, in the Custom Scarlet fade, can you still see the wood grain pattern of the shells? I realy love the wood grains and it is one of the main features that I look at when buying a new kit.

I currently play a Gretsch Renown Maple. Nice kit, but it has allways lacked a certain something. Recently I have had some gigs using a rental, a Tama Superstar Custom, due to my kit being stored away because I am relocating . . anyway, the Tama , even though a "lessser" wood, Birch and Bass-wood, has a much better sound and feel than my Gretsch, why I do not know, but I love it . . . and it is less than half the price of the Gretsch kit . . . .

So if any one can help me with that question above I will be sooooo happy . . . .

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

steveb is on a distinguished road

Re: Tama Superstar Custom Scarlet Fade

Do you mean this one?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

steveb is on a distinguished road

Tama Superstar Custom 22" Fusion Kit in Scarlet Fade Andertons Music Co Guildford Surrey

Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

CJDG is on a distinguished road

There are some big differences in these kits and I hope the highlights I point out here help you.

Ok… compare birch to maple. Birch will knock off a little low end and add a decent chunk to the high end. If you are looking to studio/home record this is a good thing since it will help you rely less on the EQ.

Basswood is really just a filler wood that is more cost efficient and falls in the range of being either maple or mahogany in sound. Apparently there is argument on both sides. Oh.. yeah I mean filler wood as in they use it to fill in the ply between the outer and inner ply of the drum. Some drum kits employ this method because having the higher grade wood on the inner and outer ply allows them to have a better finish and tonal sound. Some would argue that using different types of wood causes timber confusion… in that if the natural timber of birch isn’t in line with the basswood they will cancel each other out.

A little on the construction:
The Tama kit… unless I looked at the wrong one… has 6 ply on all the shells except the 7 ply bass drum. The Gretsch kit uses 6 ply shells all the way round. Now the theory is that less ply = less material to move = easier to get the drum to resonate. This will make the drum sound more warm or round.

The bearing edges… the flatter they go the more card board like the drums become… less articulation and more thud. A 45 is pretty standard… I can’t find any information on the Tama bearing edge for that kit other than they say it is precisely cut… ya know one would hope they do that anyways. The Gretsch is cut at a 30.

Both drum sets you have selected here have die-cast hoops… nothing wrong with this at all. Just know that there are other rims out there… such as wood or triple flange. Each has it’s own unique sound when placed on a drum.

Take this all with a grain of salt. You really should do research on what you want to get out of a drum, then go buy it. You will be happier in the long run if you buy what you are looking for. Imagine having seven drums that will just never get you to the right feel/sound you want… or five that do it all.

Hit up this site as a reference… lots of great info
Drum Tuning Bible

Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

drumpy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to drumpy

Thanks with the info on the Tama kit . . . .

I must admit that to get the right kit for you is not always the easiest thing, but it must be an educated desicion, in other words, do your homework and ask yourself, what do I want from a kit.

I gathered as much info as possible on the Tama Superstar Custom and I have a good feeling about this kit, especially after I had a few gigs on one. It is not the most expensive and everyone is allways heading for Maple kits, but unfortunately some of us has a budget to think of . . .

I found a video clip on YouTube : YouTube - My new Tama Superstar Custom

There you can see the kit quite clearly and it does not seem that you vcan see the wood pattern, but I must admit, the kit does look good in that finish.

So with your info, pics and my research as well, I did place the order for a Tam Superstar in Custom Scarlet fade. It is due to arrive the 28th of Feb.

So happy drumming . . . .

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Hey Drumpy, I have a Gretsch USA Custom Rosewood Lacquar kit. I had something missing as far as the sound, I replaced the original heads with Remo's pinstripe double layer. Placed mufflers withing the basses and added thin resonance rims on the snare and toms. Also used a steel 14x4 snare to get that crisp sound, and a 14x5 snare for that deep flat snare sound. And for a Ludwig Maple 18x16 floor tom for that last boom after.
I've helped quite a few drummers that thought that by replacing drums would get them there. When it only took a little variance in the tuning and adjusting the resonanse.

"The certain something" does'nt quite explain what your looking for in the soul searching department.

Before you go and spend the money, do some experimenting first and if that doe'snt do it, go to the sotre and try a few other brands that may appeal to you.

Good Luck and Many Blessings
Tainojim