Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Drumsticks1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Drumsticks1

I've Returned

Hey guys and gals! I know I've only had a few posts on here but with my work accounts taking me pretty much all over PA, NJ and other places I havn't had the chance to log in let alone chat. Anyway, one of my last posts was about some input that I needed to choose what set to get. Well, I've chosen. I got rid of my bottom end basic set and will be receiving my HB Predator series 9pc within a few days. I've looked at Pearl, Ludwig, Tama and Sonor. All are great drums, especially the DW sets. But I look at it this way. Sure I had a nice set when I was younger but I'm 37 with a wife and kids. Am I ever going to be in a rock band? Probably not. Any studio sessions? Not unless you count my basement where the set will be. At most, and I stress at most will be a 'garage' band playing local gigs in a few years. I had to look at every option, past, future, finances and how often I'll get to make the neighbors (and wife) pissed at the noise. I figure with my work schedule I'll be on the drums about 3-4 times a week. Probably about 3hrs a day. Sure, I would've loved the Pearl Export series or a beautiful set of DW's. But wisdom got the better of me.

I've done quite a bit of looking at the HB drums, clients, associates, etc... and the list is quite honorable. I think they'll suit me just fine. When they arrive I have some changes in motion already. Being a Remo fan since I was a kid and having them on my last set I've settled on the Remo clear pinstripe heads for the 8,10,12,13,14 & 16 toms. As for the snare I had a Remo Powerstroke 3 which to be honest I didn't care for that much. Sure, great product but I'm looking for a 'beefy' snare head along with the 'rat tat'. Maybe it's just my ears and maybe because it was brand new but it just didn't have the sound I was looking for. I'm sure it would be great for studio sound with mic's and stuff but I'm still up in the air for a 14" snare head. For the snare I'm open for any input (Evans, Attack, Aquarian). Any input on that would be great. Now for my story on the cymbals. I've taken some advise that was given to me on here quite some time ago. I asked about some input on the cymbals. Again, since I was a kid I've been a Zildjian fan. Nonetheless, I went to a local music store. I was talking to a sales associate and told him to line me up 3 sets of cymbals (hats, thin crash & medium crash). I wanted to let my ears do the deciding. So after about an hour and pissing off the sales associate by taking up his time (too bad), it came down to 2. Mind you I didn't want to know the brand so to start he covered up the names on the cymbals with a small piece of black cloth (at my request). Not sure what he was thinking. Didn't care. It was my money and if he wanted the sale he was going to have to bare with me.

To make a long story short, it came down to the 2 (which I didn't know). Zildjian and Sabian. Sabian won out. Not going to the extreme with alot of cymbals but will be getting the Sabian AAX: 14" Stage Hats, 16" Stage Crash, 18" Chinese, 20" Stage Ride and 10" Splash. As for the kick pedal, Iron cobra. And so this long story ends......for now. But it will never be over as long as I'm drumming. As soon as I get the set together to my liking I'll have some pics on here. And sorry to say that 'The Professor' Neil Peart will be replaced with ME as my avatar.

Well, peace out for now. Be safe and keep making some serious thunder on the sets!!!

Last edited by Drumsticks1; 02-24-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM

pasta is on a distinguished road

Re: I've Returned

I hope you're happy with them. They've gotten some horrible reviews on some of the other forums and you could have probably gotten a nicer used kit for the money. Check the bearing edges and your hardware carefully. They've also been accused of exaggerating their clientele.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Just received my new set yesterday. I'll tell ya what. I'm pretty impressed with a low to mid end set. Double braced hardware, nice 7 ply birch shells, no problems with the bearing edges, etc... They did forget to send me the 8 & 10" tom holder and the hi hat stand but they're on the way. Also just got my new Sabian cymbals. Loving them. Got more than what I ordered but I ain't *****ing. No extra charge on my card. Got the 14" hats, 14" thin crash, 16" thin crash, 18" medium crash, 20" ride and 10" splash. Now just waiting for my new Iron Cobra kick, 2 more cymbal stands and an upgraded stool. Sure, they're not DW's, Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, PDP, etc... but I'm never going to be a rock star. I'm very happy with what I received.........so far. And when they first arrived; of with the heads!!!! New Remo pinstripes were the first things on. Hoping to have a pic on within a few days.

Peace out!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Glad to hear HB has upped its game since the bad reviews. Have fun with your new kit.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Well, I must digress a bit here. Still havn't received my hi-hat stand, tom stand for my 8" and 10" tom, large tom arms and kit was missing 3 tension rods that hold the toms on. And, to top it off last night the one leg on the kick bass came loose. I just thought maybe I'd tighten it up. Nope. Threads were all stripped out!!!!!!! The kit sounds good with the Remo pinstripes and for the most part the hardware (with the above exception) is O.K. And so far my dealings with HB in CA have been 'shaky' at best. I'm getting bad vibes that this is going to turn into some kind of run around. I just want what I paid for. Last evening I did another search on HB reviews. On like the 3rd page of Google was a **** load of comments (95% bad) about HB drums on this forum. I guess it was from months gone by. If I'm not satisfied I'll be adding to that forum topic and spreading the word all over God's green and blue earth that HB has no quality control and you get no satisfaction with your order.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 AM

Sorry to hear about it but not surprised. I just don't know how they stay in business. I hope you get your missing stuff.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
Sorry to hear about it but not surprised. I just don't know how they stay in business. I hope you get your missing stuff.
Hope? I BETTER get what I paid for! As for 'they' staying in business, I'm starting to believe that this is a one-man operation. Left an e-mail and a message on 'their' machine today. I'm beyond pissed at this point . I must say despite this damn hardship/frustration/anger/pissed off the set is nice. Sure, I'd rather have a 9ply but this 7ply set sounds good enough for me and for gigging. Was going to 'gig up' this weekend but not with the 5 piece. I WANT MY DAMN TOM STAND SO I CAN MOUNT MY REMAINING 2 TOMS. O.K., I'm done yelling. Thanx for being there.

Peace out!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM

So my tom stand has arrived..........finally. Have to be honest here. I've been to alot of 'gig' plays, bars, etc... and have heard many drums. My friends have upper end Pearls and they're great. But I truly like the sound of my HB 7pc. Now mind you I did change out all of the heads with Remo pinstripes. I think the 7ply shells help, too. Just got some more **** in that I ordered. So for now, my intermediate set for the novice player is complete......for now. 22" 20lug kick, 8, 10, 12, 13 & 16" toms. 14" snare. 14" hats, 14 & 16" thin crash. 18" medium crash. 20" ride. 10" splash. I'm happy. Been playing a few hours a day and whenever time permits. All of my cymbal stands have been replaced with Pearl stands and Pearl pedals. So far (knock on wood) the HB hardware is holding up well. Maybe in a few years when and if I gig I'll see what happens but for now I'm just tickled pink to be pissing off the neighbors and my dog. One thing that I do want is a 20" China cymbal. Wife put the kaboshes to that, though. I do time I guess.
And I'm quite convinced that HB in California is a one-man operation. Can't be 100% positive. Customer service sucks. But hey, I got my drums.

Peace out!