Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

pearl_freak is on a distinguished road

new sets

I've been looking to upgrade my set but don't know where it would be best to put my money. I'm not rich so I would like to find a good solid kit (preferably double bass) that will hold up and not need alot of work. I currently have pearl export 5pc. set that I am relativly happy with but would like to upgrade to a double bass. Should I stay where I am and up grade or what

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

Re: new sets

Get a double bass peddle IMO, if you play any shows it's quite a bit easier to haul and you don't have to keep 2 drums in tune with eachother. Maybe look at some new cymbals also and/or new heads to get a new/better sound out of the export.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

You must consider where you are upgrading to. Lets start with wood types. Do you know if you prefer the full sound of maple, the focussed sound of birch, the middle ground of the poplar export you're playing, or do you have blend of woods that you like the sound of. This is the most important thing as it will determine the sound of your next kit and you want to ensure you're gona be happy with it.

Check out this page Drum Woods for a run down on different wood types, then, go to your local store and try the crap out of the different kits. You should quickly get a feel for what you like in a kit. Do not be swayed by the sales people or the look of drum kits. You need to gauge the woods before making any other decisions.

If you look around the linked site, you'll find lots of information regarding the choosing of drums. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM

pearl_freak is on a distinguished road

yea thanks I do like my poplar shells but havn't had a huge amount of experience on maple shells and like them as well. So far I have found a Ddrum 7pc. set I like well and a HB 12pc. set. Also I am looking at an add-on pack for my current set consisting of a 22in. bass, 10in. mounted tom, 14in. floor tom and two boom cymbal stands. Which would you go for Ddrum, HB, or the add-on pack. Or if you have any other suggestions for me please let me know. I havn't looked much at any maple shells.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

larry is on a distinguished road

I just sold my Tama Stagestar set and am looking to move up. have been looking a Ludwig Fab 4 ($1100). Would like to try PCP bu am a little uneducated about birch maple etc.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 PM

drummerboypbc is on a distinguished road

Just throwing this out there for you guys; beech sets get overlooked for how great they sound for a relatively low price. Beech has a tone between maple and birch so it has great versatility in sound too. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, because ultimately, its up to you.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM

drummer101 is on a distinguished road

You can buy a tom-tom and put it on your set, or just go out buy a cymbal and stand.