Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

rogerb60 is on a distinguished road

Question Getting back into it...with a question

Hello everyone...Let me say first that most of you are probably younger than me, and have far more experience. Over 35 years ago, in 3rd grade, I started to take drum lessons, but in 7th grade, I quit because no one I knew had any interest in music. Yes, stupid me!!! But now, in my late 40s, I want to get back into it. As we all know, drummers are the most athletic of musicians and it sure wouldn't hurt me to get into a little better shape. A friend of mine has a Ludwig kit,( he's pretty good) and says, "you still have it" and with some (LOTS, in my opinion!!) practice, I'll be rockin' in no time. That brings me to this question. I have been considering a Mapex VX kit for starters, knowing I probably would have to get better heads for it. I hear the "Remo/Mapex" heads aren't all that good, and was wondering what your opinion on the choice of the Mapex kit is. The more opinions I get, the better, as you can't argue with experience, and I don't know anyone who owns a Mapex kit. Thanks for taking the time to read this and any and all opinions you have will be seriously considered.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

jhilldrums is on a distinguished road

Re: Getting back into it...with a question

Why Mapex? Just curious if you have one in mind, or you fell in love with one at the store?

I played a Mapex at a store as a test drive and found it to be pretty nice. But I prefer the Yamaha lines. Not a cheap intro set like the YD, but a stage custom where you still get decent wood (Mahogany and Falkata shells).

I went into a Tama phase when I was a kid, traded my Ludwig amber vistalite kit for a 5 pc Tama, got it home and within 2 weeks a tom arm snapped. The tom bounced off the bass and rolled to the floor. Piece of junk in my opinion.

Play the Mapex, look into where in the line it falls and go from there. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

rogerb60 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post, JHILL. I did try a Yamaha at the local music store, and I really did like the sound, but unfortunately it was a bit out of my price range. They don't carry Mapex, but said if I wanted one, they could get me one. I will also have to invest in cymbals, and we all know good ones aren't cheap. I did a little research on-line about Mapex, and it seems they are pretty good for the price, but have yet to actually hear one. That is why I posted my question. Again, thanks for the reply, and who knows, maybe I'll find a used Yamaha in my price range.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

jhilldrums is on a distinguished road

Any word? You find anything yet? C'mon, and btw, I'm 43 and back at it

Old 05-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

1DrJoy is on a distinguished road

Hey Roger,
One of the places a work for has a few Mapex kits and to be honest with you they sound fab. I've played on one for over 18 months (Pro-M Series) and it's always sounded great. Also, I played at a friends wedding on a M series and that sounded good too once it had been tuned. I would say that they are well worth looking at but, as with anything drum related, try to play before you buy to make sure it has the sound for you.