Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

PDP Platinum

My friends, I give you Pacific Drum and Percussions Platinum series!!!

8 ply, all maple shells, huge range of Super-sexy finishes and tom sizes including "18 floor toms (finally), Plus the ability to order Virgin bass drums!!!!!!!!OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

PDP Platinum Series Drums

I know I've been banging on about getting a sonor 3007 for a while now, but I have been attracted to the quality of the pdp's also. The only thing holding me back was the horrid lack of size options.

Well not any more baby. I'm gonna be over these puppies with a fine toothed comb and they'll probably make my new wish list.

So wadjyall think?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Re: PDP Platinum

I said Wadjyall think!!!!???? Jeez why hasn't anyone looked at these beauties yet?

Old 06-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

H Towner is on a distinguished road

My son took delivery of what I believe to be one of the first Platinum Series PDP sets from the DW factory around the first of May. When I say first, that is because the drums are being manufactured in Mexico, when we ordered the set in March, there were none delivered to DW as of yet, and literally the set arrived on a truck from the manufacturing site, was QC'd at DW in California, then shipped directly to our local drum shop. We bought the set sight unseen, having been assured that if they weren't up to our expectations, they would easily sell to someone else.

The finish we ordered is the tobacco burst curly maple (if you go to the PDP website, you can see what it looks like). The set has a 22" bass, 2 toms, a floor tom, and a snare. The finish on the drums is gorgeous--really too nice to take out on gigs at this point but eventually it will have to go out and get nicked up. The drums sound great. The boom from the bass makes things dance around on the shelves in the room the set is in. We did order it with the virgin bass. There have been some issues with keeping the toms in tune--have been told from a few DW owners we know that this is common with new DW sets. All in all very pleased with quality of construction and overall sound. A good value for the money.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

I'd take the 5 piece

Old 06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

CJDG is on a distinguished road

I'm not too keen on the floor tom legs and the overall look of the lugs... Just not my cup of tea. However the rest of the kits look smoking. I've been a fan of the Pacific line for a while. They are by far my favorite line. I've been looking at ddrum as well.. but I'd rather play them first before I make a decision.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM

I'm thinking Satin oil tobacco burst finish. They claim the satin oils are better for the studio. Is that because they're less durable or just more understated, do you think?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

H Towner is on a distinguished road

I think because the satin oil is a hand rubbed finish, it penetrates the wood and gives the drums a more organic or pure sound. How much of a difference one can actually hear between one finish and another, I don't know.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

CJDG is on a distinguished road

Anything you add to a drum will change the sound. I doubt that the acoustic qualities would be noticed that easily... especially when you have the drums buried in the mix. I'd focus that attention on just tuning the drums. It sounds as if they are either talking from you know, back there, or they have nice enough equipment to make a difference in picking up such small details.

But you do raise a point. Finish does impact the drums overall sound... however small/large that might be. If you have a oil/stain type of finish it will soak into the wood... then however much lacquer you have over that will decide how much the drums tone gets muted. If you have say a wrap on the drum it will muffle the resonance of the drum more. Here is the tricky part though... if you have smaller shells you will get less resonance from the drum in the overall sound.

It works out to being pick your poison... but I believe that the impact is very minute.

This goes a little more in depth...
articles & reviews

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Bish is on a distinguished road

Having mine for only a week I can say they will project and the bass drum has a very nice thump. I'm really warming up to them after not liking them at first.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

StickBreaker16 is on a distinguished road

How much for a 5 piece set of those?