Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Tommatt is on a distinguished road

16th note triplets on bass between 8th note high hat beats

So, the first day I tried these, I didn't have much of a problem. Then I started thinking heel/toe would be the best way to go about learning these beats. Well...... it feels like day one trying to keep a heel toe bass drum beat on 16th notes, 8ths on the high hat, and snare on 2 and 4. I screw up just with the high hats, trying to keep moeller. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to go about this IE do I need to learn to do heel toe to do this? Am I going about this the wrong way?

I'm in between lessons right now for the next couple months and these are the next things on my dvd right now I have. But all they have is some guy doing it, and hes using heel toe. Any advice?

Thanks everyone.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

Re: 16th note triplets on bass between 8th note high hat beats

Do you play heel toe? Doesn't sound liek it, so don't practice heel toe till you have it down...whatever other way you play, flat foot/jazz or heel up/rock. By 16th triplets...you mean sixlets? Always confuses me when people say 16th triplets. If you are talking about sixlets,...well play triplets/slower sixlets, either count em like a triplet or sixlet doesn't really matter, only difference is sixlet has 2x the notes/is 2x as fast basically. I'm still trying to fit steady+constant triplets/sixlets with 8ths up top, but I just mostly play for fun now n just jam out I guess on the set. Mostkly just work on rudiments

Iono what it's liek learning from a DVD cause I've had a teacher and book for the past...8-9 years so yea. The quick snips of different videos I've seen...well I couldn't learn like that, I need someone beside me slowing everything down and answering my questions. But for the sixlets, just keep practicing while keeping a steady beat up top unless you're good at keeping tempo without a constant.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Tommatt is on a distinguished road

Re: 16th note triplets on bass between 8th note high hat beats

On the sheet music ( I couldn't find anything online in my 10 minute search that had a beat like I was talking about) It has an 8th note hi-hat pattern, and in between 2 of the hi-hat hits, there is 2 bass shots with the lines connected and a 3 over them. I believe it would be counted One and Two And trip let Three and Four and. I could screen shot it on my PC if anybody would like off the DVD.

As for my bass drum technique, when I first started I was playing heel down. My teacher encouraged me to switch to heel up to get more power out of the bass, so I've been doing that. I asked him what to do when you have 2 quick notes in a row, and he would hit with his toe as he lifted his leg. A heel down shot before and up. Basically the motions of a heel toe, but exaggerated from what I've seen in videos. When I first started playing, I would sub-consciously do this as I wasn't used to playing heel up. Cheat basically. Now that I've gotten comfortable playing heel up, I'm having a hard time doing it. I still do it without thinking about it, but now that I've gotten to this lesson, and the 2 hits are so quick, its something I need to work on.

I thought a good idea would be to play 16th notes constantly on the bass, while doing and 8th note beat on the hats. I feel like day 1 on the drums, with no limb independence. Is there a good way to go and learn this technique, or am I going about it the right way? Or should I just concentrate some time on just playing the bass until its more natural? Without doing anything else it feels pretty good. I don't try to go very fast, I've only been playing 4 months. Maybe I just need more time on the kit to develop some speed naturally before diving into these.

Don't know when I'll be able to start the lessons again, untill then I just got these DVDs. I Feel really comfortable with doing the snare shot doubles in between now, and actually find myself doing it to much when I play lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

And while I'm writing this novel of questions, any fun way of doing rudiments?